Mastering Problem... Speakers Crackling, Bassy!

isettheseaonfir

Hi Guys!

I have run into a major problem with mastering/recording songs. I have been using Logic to record songs into, and then I have been exporting into Cubase and using that with the Oxford Plugins to master that songs with. To me loudness is quite important, as I realy need my track to stand up to commercial ones.

Now the problem.... When I listen to my songs on Cubase/Logic through headphones, They sound nice and crisp. However, I decided to do a test, and played the output through my car stereo. BAD IDEA!... all you could hear basically was the speakers rattling due to what i think was the bass. So i tried turning the bass down, I tried EQ'ing the track whilst plugged into rubbish speakers, and managed to get it to sound pretty clean. But then I always listen to the track through loads of different speakers, and some will always rattle/buzz.

I have no idea where to go from this point. Very unprofessionally I then gave up, and released the songs anyway, which you can hear on my soundcloud here (soundcloud dot com forwardslash isettheseaonfire forwardslash i-set-the-sea-on-fire-colours)

replace the dot and forwardslash obviously, sorry I havent done enough posts yet!

I would really appreciate if anyone could take a listen and tell me what I have done wrong!

Thankyou so much!

Peter Jenkins

Hard to tell anything about the mastering job without hearing the original mix.

That said...

The amount of top end and upper mids ("ex-girlfriend screaming in your ear") is absolutely stunning.

There are no lower mids to speak of.

There is no particular anchor in the lows -- Actually sounds like some odd phase cancellation in the bottom.

(a moment passes)

Indeed, some weird phase cancellation in the bottom.

THAT said, I have no idea where any/all of that occurred.

I'd suggest using ONE set of monitors that you KNOW and TRUST. Running from one set to another set is like trying to hit a moving target without even having the chance to aim.

Back