Makes No Cents?! Explain Cents Please

gethypedmusic

You Have No Idea.....
If I wanted to do the mixing trick to smooth my vocals, How exactly do I turn a waveform up by cents exactly? I'm not absorbing the WIkipedia Definition exactly.

Lets say I wanted to take a MAIN VOCAL TRACK, make 2 duplicates. Pan 1 Hard right and Pan the other hard left. I want to turn one up by 9 cents and one down by 9 cents. How exactly would I do this? Or how would I determine the cents till I hit the sweet spot?

Thanks

It's pitch shift. A "cent" is one one-hundredth of a half-step. Assuming your software has a pitch shift tool, there should be an option for tuning by half-steps, and an option for "fine-tuning." Fine tuning is where you'd raise one and lower the other.

I actually got the tip from YOU in a search I did. So Ur the man i need to talk to haha. I use Audition 1.5 any idea how I would do that in AA? :)

Well it's not my trick originally, though I'm glad I could pass it on. I'm afraid I'm not at all familiar with AA--you'll have to find someone whose familiar with that app and ask about pitch shift.

(and when you get that part figured out, don't forget about the delay part--it's key to the results as well.) Let me know how it turns out.

Im sorry... The delay part?

Also... I notices theres a "Cents" dial in Autotune can u use that as a comparison for me? Lol : )

Go to Effects, Stretch, Preserve Tempo, then adjust pitch up to 100.33696. Save that as your "Pitch Up 6 Cents Track".

Go back to your original track and do the same thing except adjust pitch down to 99.66304. Save that as your "Pitch Down 6 Cents Track".

I love you. So if i wanted to make that 9 cents... I would add 1/3 of that number or subtract 1/3 of that number and that would be 9 cents correct?

Im sorry... The delay part?

Also... I notices theres a "Cents" dial in Autotune can u use that as a comparison for me? Lol : )

Yep, the delay part. If you're following the sweetening method I posted a zillion years ago, you should end up with this:

3 tracks
original in the center
duplicate panned hard left tuned down 9 cents
duplicate panned hard right tuned up 9 cents
Both of the duplicates delayed by 25 milliseconds from the original

NOTE: the two duplicates should not be at the same volume level as the original in the center. I usually start with the dupes all the way down and slowly bring them up around the original one till the effect is just right. It's usually lower than you think it'll be. If the dupes are too loud, the effect gets really annoying--this one is best when it's subtle.

Man I love this website. Haha you guys are so helpful. Appreciate it. If I have anymore questions Ill be sure to update this! ;)

Back