Mackie 802-VLZ3 & M-Audio 2496 for recording audio.

weirdchris

I have recently aquired both the Mackie 802-VLZ3 Mixer, and the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sound card.

My question is how do I connect them together in order to record onto my computer. I have read a load of forums, and I think I'm getting lost in terminology. All I need to know is what lead goes from what part of the mixer to what part of the sound card.

The sound card has Audio In (L & R), and Audio Out (L & R), as well as a breakout cable for midi & spdif (god knows if I know what on earth that means).

I don't use midi at the moment, I only record audio (guitar & vocals), and I just need someone who is prepared to talk to an idiot to help me out.

If there is any information that I haven't included that I need to, please let me know.

Thanks,
Chris

EDIT: I have now read that my Alt 3-4 outputs should go out to the Audio Ins on my sound card. Any truth in this? Or is there a different way that I should be doing things?

Last edited:
I have recently aquired both the Mackie 802-VLZ3 Mixer, and the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sound card.

My question is how do I connect them together in order to record onto my computer. I have read a load of forums, and I think I'm getting lost in terminology. All I need to know is what lead goes from what part of the mixer to what part of the sound card.

The sound card has Audio In (L & R), and Audio Out (L & R), as well as a breakout cable for midi & spdif (god knows if I know what on earth that means).

I don't use midi at the moment, I only record audio (guitar & vocals), and I just need someone who is prepared to talk to an idiot to help me out.

If there is any information that I haven't included that I need to, please let me know.

Thanks,
Chris

EDIT: I have now read that my Alt 3-4 outputs should go out to the Audio Ins on my sound card. Any truth in this? Or is there a different way that I should be doing things?

you will connect those RED and WHITE cables from your Tape outs to your Audio ins on that particular sound card......

SO

1 Red and White cables........

2 connect them to your TAPE OUTS on your mackie

3 connect them to your Inputs on your soundcard.

Im not sure but if you DO have to use your alt 3/4 bus on your mixer you will just PAN the channel that your instrument is plugged into either hard right or hard left........hard meaning all the way right or left.

you will connect those RED and WHITE cables from your Tape outs to your Audio ins on that particular sound card......

SO

1 Red and White cables........

2 connect them to your TAPE OUTS on your mackie

3 connect them to your Inputs on your soundcard.

Im not sure but if you DO have to use your alt 3/4 bus on your mixer you will just PAN the channel that your instrument is plugged into either hard right or hard left........hard meaning all the way right or left.

fantastic, thanks for the help :)

cheers for bearing with a silly noob, just didn't want to make any mistakes.

Will give this a go when I finish work, but you are a saint for your help.

Chris

Back