Macintosh Hardware and Software

motherapproved

I've got a couple questions here. I want to use my macintosh for recording purposes and I'm wondering if anyone recommends any soundcards and software that aren't too expensive. I saw the Opcode Vision DSP(downloadable version for $60) in the bassplayer magazine, but I'm not sure if it's something that I'll regret buying. Does Cakewalk have a downloadable version? Also do I need to buy a direct box if I plug in my bassamp to the sound card? Do I need on if I plug into my Tascam 414?

thanks

Not sure I fully understand your question(s) but I am using a Mac for my home recording and I can explain my setup. I am using a Power PC and I am using the apple soundcard. The biggest drawback to this is the fact that you can only have two inputs at a time for recording. The A/D converters are supposedly lower in quality than an add in soundcard, but I haven't been dis-satisfied. The one thing that you do need if you go this route is some sort of external monitering device and a pre-amp. My Mackie mixer serves both of these purposes perfectly. You need the external pre-amp because otherwise you have no control of the sound input volume. You amp would probably work just fine for this purpose. Lastly, I am using Cubase as my software and have been very happy with it.

If you are interested in hearing more about this setup let me know and I will explain in more depth. But I have had good success with this setup. I use the recording setup for recording / arranging of original music. Since I play all the instruments, the two input limit is fine. I mainly record acoustic guitars / resonator guitars and vocals.

If you would like to hear what kind of results I got in MP3 format check out http://www.geocities.com/dougschmude and click on the music. There are a couple of songs there that I recorded shortly after I got my setup. Hope this helps.

Doug

Back