Mac -> Soundcraft 12 MTK -> PA .....can't hear a thing.

bm70

I would like to use my Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK as an output to my PA system to play music (eg, spotify) from my Mac. Thus far in the life of the mixer I have only used it as an input for my instruments to go through to my PA.

On the Mac when I open APPLICATIONS, UTILITIES, AUDIO MIDI SETUP I find that the mixer is recognised and I'm able to assign the mixer as an OUTPUT and/or INPUT (hence the multitrack in the product name).

I have 'USE THIS DEVICE FOR SOUND OUTPUT' active.

When I click CONFIGURE SPEAKERS, and click on the speakers to test the connection I hear no sound - except for a very faint hiss.

So, the Mac recognises the mixer. I think the issue is with the multitude of buttons on the mixer (which I'm still learning about). The sliders on the Chanel and master are up. The USB channel is on 11/12. The buttons that are present on that channel are:
USB RTN
AUX 1-2, POST
MUTE
PFL
MST
1-2

Elsewhere there's also GROUP 1-2 sliders + various buttons and an FX return channel.... anyway it's a bit confusing with my level of knowledge.

Ideally someone with the same mixer could point me in the right direction. Thanks

My guess is a routing issue on the desk.

The USB feeds in via channels 11/12 (that I can see). Normally I would expect to see a switch to toggle between RCA inputs and the USB, but it appears that the mixer doesn't care about which is being used.

With all buttons up (i.e. you haven't pressed mute, for example), the default should direct the channel input to the master output. However, you may have to press an output button on the channel itself (down near its fader) to direct it to the main output.

So: leave Aux 1-2, post, mute, PFL and 1-2 alone. Toggle MST to see if anything happens. Also, I'm not sure how the USB return functions. It may be worth toggling this to see what happens

Back