Mac software to record and save as M4A 320kbps

Keith Bertschin

Hi,

I’ve been using audacity to record the output from my Mac but it will save M4A at a maximum 196kbps VBR. I want recording software that will save at 320kbps CBR. Despite searching for hours I can’t find one. It doesn’t need to be free but I don’t want to commit to hundreds of dollars either.

I can’t go lossless with my files but I want to get as close as possible and M4A is better quality than MP3.

Very grateful if anybody knows of one.

Thanks

Logic Pro X has that capability.

But, I generally use MP3 320 VBR for anything I’m sharing. The recorded tracks always stay in non-lossy format, of course.

I'm confused...

A real m4a audio file has AAC encoding. Apple lossless. No way to spec 320 kbps, as that is mp3 and NOT m4A. A file with .m4a extension will play even if the content is mp3. But it is not a real m4a. It's a container with a private stream in it.

M4a is a container format for audio and video, based on Quicktime. It should normally not contain mp3 audio. If you want 320 kbps CBR, the file should have the .mp3 extension, or it will confuse some Windows players.

Or is there some reason I'm overlooking, like compatibility with a hardware audio player?

Appreciate the responses.

Logic Pro X ($199) is a bit rich for my pocket just for that functionality.

I generally use MP3 320 VBR for anything I’m sharing.

I did some testing between MP3 & AAC (M4A) and AAC was clearly better for me even when comparing a 320kbps MP3 against a 192kbps AAC. I know some people will say, just accept files at 192kbps but I would rather 320kb. Basically get the best quality I can from a well supported format short of going full lossless.

A real m4a audio file has AAC encoding. Apple lossless.

I don't understand that point. I've been producing AAC files but they are 192 instead of 320. That's not lossless.

wikipedia...
Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) is a proprietary audio coding standard for lossy digital audio compression.

I do have pro tools. I didn't believe there was a way to record your computer with PT but I now read that with soundflower that it can be done. I guess I could record and save as a WAV then export to a conversion tool. I would much rather be able to record and save the AAC in one software package.

A file with .m4a extension will play even if the content is mp3.

It gets a bit confusing that the file is AAC but it uses a M4A extension that can be used by other file formats. All I know is I get a M4A extension.

No way to spec 320 kbps, as that is mp3 and NOT m4A.

I don't understand that. Why can't it be increased to 320?

Thanks guys

Just set your import settings in iTunes to the format you want and export/share lossless then import to iTunes. Delete the lossless file.

No DAW works with lossy files, so your projects will still be eating space. But, seriously, storage is so ridiculously cheap, if you've got a $10k audio system, why not use lossless formats. Use FLAC if you're trying to save a little space. My old college roomate uses that - has everything on a server in the basement. He's the only person I know that still has a real, hi-end stereo, though...

Personally, I'd love to watch a blind test of lossless audio files vs. 192k AAC and 320k MP3.

Logic Pro X ($199) is a bit rich for my pocket just for that functionality.

Why not save a wav (as an archival copy) and convert it into the desired output format? That's how I do all audio anyway.

Audacity will do it too. But you need to install lame. And you're using a strange combo, so you might need to make your own preset for export.

Another solution is Sox. It's a command line tool:

SoX - Sound eXchange | HomePage

xACT is an applescript frontend to Sox. It uses a lot of open source projects and gives them a friendly gui.

xACT is a GUI based front end for the unix applications Shorten, shntool, Monkey's Audio Compressor, flac, wavpack, TTA, Opus, and cdda2wav. It also uses SoX, LAME, AtomicParsley, TagLib and MP4v2. It executes the basic commands of these applications and adds other features to speed up productivity in creation/use of etree.org standard filesets.

http://xact.scottcbrown.org/

If xACT/Sox can't convert a file from/to what you need, you might as well give up :D

I did some testing between MP3 & AAC (M4A) and AAC was clearly better for me even when comparing a 320kbps MP3 against a 192kbps AAC. I know some people will say, just accept files at 192kbps but I would rather 320kb. Basically get the best quality I can from a well supported format short of going full lossless.

I don't understand that point. I've been producing AAC files but they are 192 instead of 320. That's not lossless.

wikipedia...

You're right of course, AAC isn't lossless. I get confused and confuse AAC with ALAC (Apple lossless) all the time.

I think AAC tops out at 192 kbs for stereo. 320 for mp3's is a bit useless, you might as well use uncompressed because the compression ratio is 2:1 at best.

I do have pro tools. I didn't believe there was a way to record your computer with PT but I now read that with soundflower that it can be done. I guess I could record and save as a WAV then export to a conversion tool. I would much rather be able to record and save the AAC in one software package.

Soundflower is old. The latest release can't be googled easily and it's a beta. Rogue Amoeba has produced audio hijack, which works well with the latest Macos, but it isn't free.

Other solutions exist, like jack. But again, jack isn't really stable on the latest Macos and it's a bit of a pita to set up. Besides, if you're recording Skype, most solutions will fail one day. And if you're recording Youtube, you might as well download it in stead. It's faster and very reliable, compared to recording.

It gets a bit confusing that the file is AAC but it uses a M4A extension that can be used by other file formats. All I know is I get a M4A extension.

M4A is a container. Like .avi, or .mkv. It can contain lots of different audio/video, encoded with lots of different codecs.

I don't understand that. Why can't it be increased to 320?

Like I wrote above, I think it tops out at 192 kbps for stereo. For 5.1 audio, it supports 320.

oh, BTW

AIFF = WAV (uncompressed). Only, the bit order was reversed. Today, every application should be able to read and write AIFF out of the box.

I just tried it in Audacity 2.2.2. That uses ffmpeg and selecting M4A as output defaults to AAC. No option to select anything but AAC. You can only select the quality with a slider.

Like I wrote above, I think it tops out at 192 kbps for stereo. For 5.1 audio, it supports 320.
You can, as I said, create 320kbps AAC files.

And, you can can do the conversion in iTunes for free, if the tedium is worth it to you. Set the preferences to convert your CD import to 320kbps AAC and then export WAV from Audacity. Play it in iTunes then Convert from the File menu. Here's some screenshots of a set I just imported into iTunes and converted to AAC.
Screen Shot 2018-03-05 at 1.36.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-05 at 1.45.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-05 at 1.41.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-05 at 1.40.21 PM.png

I just tried it in Audacity 2.2.2. That uses ffmpeg and selecting M4A as output defaults to AAC. No option to select anything but AAC. You can only select the quality with a slider.
The slider doesn't do much. I tried setting it on "320" and "500" and both created a file with 196kbps. Here's the different files created with Audacity and iTunes: 1st 3, Export Selected Audio - first 5 min of set with two AAC with different slider settings and then as 24-bit AIFF; the last was AAC created by File->Convert in iTunes. It's 320kbps.
Screen Shot 2018-03-05 at 2.11.49 PM.png

I know about the solution by going through iTunes, although I don't think I've ever used it to produce an m4a.

Does it default to .m4a if you select AAC?

I seem to remember m4a is needed for something. Apple TV, perhaps?

When it comes to Audacity, I've posted a question to the forum, since the custom ffmpeg export behaves oddly, at least on my Mac. But even if it would behave well, there seems to be no way to export m4a containers with mp3 content.

I know about the solution by going through iTunes, although I don't think I've ever used it to produce an m4a.

Does it default to .m4a if you select AAC?...
On OS X, m4a is the container for AAC, and the default format for iTunes. IIRC, it's the same on both Windows and Mac.

While I have read that AAC is technically better than MP3, it simply never caught on outside of Apple, which is why I stick with MP3, usually 320 but often 256 (like Amazon ;)), for personal sharing. Everyone's listening on Bluetooth earbuds these days, so what's the point of trying harder or clogging up the airwaves with bits nobody is going to even try to hear? My entire iTunes library is 320kbps, and even dialed down to 192 for my ancient iPod Mini I use at the gym (and motorcycle for a few years) - hardly critical listening going on there.

(I do keep reference tracks in WAV or AIFF, of course.)

Back