M audio M Track very low signal!!!

augattis

I´m sorry if this is a duplicated question, but I´ve been searching the forum for a similar problem but didn´t find any!!!
I just bought a M Audio Fast Track and also an M Audio Nova Condenser microphone.
But when I try to record a guitar, the input signal is so low, that I can barely see the sound waves! I´ve tried many DAW´s, from Audacity to SONAR, but the problem persists!! The same happens when I try to record the condenser mic signal!!! VERY VERY low... I almost have to scream inside de condenser (like it was a dinamic mic to get a little signal) I don´t think that is some setup settings like "setting the windows recording volume to a higher level".
:eek::eek::eek::wtf:
What I must do?? please help!!

Hello Mr. mdainsd how´s things??
The version of M Track that I have has doens´t need to turn the phantom power ON. But if you are refearing to the 48 V+: it is on.
View attachment 90013
Man, i´ve been searching the internet for the solution, and I´ve found many people having this problem with the fast track......
The seller told me that the M track doesn´t need a pre amp.

What bothers me is that I can´t even edit the sound waves. I found many people that are having this problem around the world and they contact the M Audio assistance, but they don´t come back to tell the solution.. thank you

+48V is the same as phantom power...there should be a switch on the back of the unit to turn phantom power on/off. The M-Audio Nova is a condenser microphone, and thus requires phantom power to be on.

The M-Audio Fast Track has a preamp built in, so the seller was correct that it doesn't require an external preamp.

When you sing/speak into the microphone, does the green "sig" light come on? Does the red "clip" light come on if you turn up the gain and/or yell?

Hello mr Tadpui thanks for your help!
Yes, both lights, green and red come on!

It seems to me that the signal is getting to the DAW, because if I turn the volume up I can hear it pretty well, but I still can barely see the sound waves..

But if this thing has something do to with the "phantom power", how can I get the same low signal when trying to record a guitar directly puggled in the Line iput??? :mad:

Man this is driving me crazy...
thanks again

It's not about seeing sound waves.

How high is the signal you're getting in your DAW and where do you have the various faders/controls set (on the interface and in the DAW)?

Guitars don't (usually) put out a line level signal, to answer your other question.

"I don´t think that is some setup settings like "setting the windows recording volume to a higher level".

I bet it is. If the signal indicators are working on the AI either its converters are borked (unlikely) or the device is not set as default recording in Windows (W7?) or/and the levels are cranked down.
Work your way through all the sound menus in Windows and you could be lucky.

Does the AI PLAYBACK a decent level from Youtube for example into the cans?

Dave.

"I don´t think that is some setup settings like "setting the windows recording volume to a higher level".

I bet it is. If the signal indicators are working on the AI either its converters are borked (unlikely) or the device is not set as default recording in Windows (W7?) or/and the levels are cranked down.
Work your way through all the sound menus in Windows and you could be lucky.

Does the AI PLAYBACK a decent level from Youtube for example into the cans?

Dave.

Thanks very much for the help guys. I found the solution. I don´t know why, but if I unplug the mic, wait a few seconds and then plug it back in, (like a reset) it starts working again. Could it be a microfone/hardware malfuction??
Other thing that I did realize is that the gain knob should be set on a VERY HIGH position (like 4 o´clock). Got this information on a blog.
Thanks everybody for the attention!!!

Back