M-Audio Interfaces: Firewire Solo, MobilePre USB, or Ozone

chiggachu

I am looking into a $100-$150 audio interface to begin recording some of my music onto my PC.

I want to record my acoustic guitar thru a pickup (1/4") and vocals through an XLR mic (probably a SPB1 when I get around to it). Software will be Cubase SE3.

As far as I can tell, all three of these M-audio interfaces will do the trick. They all cost about the same, and my computer will support each one perfectly. The only obvious difference is the Ozone has a keyboard and some other MIDI stuff, but I don't know jack crap about MIDI so it is only useful for future consideration.

Obviously, I'm not looking to spend too much money ($400 total gear + software), I just want to make some music that doesn't sound like it was made in a tin can and a cheap PC mic.

Anyone have one or more of these devices, or would like to suggest another one that fits my needs?

The mobile pre is only 16bit get a 24
The ozone is only a 2x2 I/O and is overkill if you dont do midi
The Firewire is 6x4 24bit and comes with software I feel its the best bet.
Although the old faithful 2496 would work just does'nt have XLR inputs and its 2x2.

this looks like its gold for somebody completely starting out: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/241480/
for $150 more than the cost of a firebox you're getting a stand, a mic that isn't very different from a b1 (i have both), stand, monitors (that will be better than stereo speakers, at least), and cables + cubase

you've got a ton of options really. i scored a b1 for $40 on ebay, so hopefully you aren't against looking there!

Thanks, these are all good pieces of advice.

I want to stick with a single piece of plug and play hardware as my interface.

The Presonus firebox is a bit more expensive than what I can afford, so I think M-audio stuff is the way to go.

I agree...the ozone may be overkill. I think I'm going to go with either the MobilePre or the Firewire solo. Anyone have a recommendation between these two?

Back