Low Volume from Output

EssKayKay

Hello,

I newby here so please bear with me and excuse my ignorance as I am not an audio expert or anything even close.

I am having a problem with my Behringer UCA202 audio interface and my Behringer 802 mixer. I am attempting to output Spotify (from laptop) and my electronic drums through the mixer; then back into the AI input to record via Audacity.

I connected the AI output (L&R RCA jacks) to mixer input channels 5&6 (L&R ¼-inch) and the edrum module L&R output channels to mixer input channels 3&4. The problem is I have very little/low volume from the AI (Spotify); the drum volume is fine. I switched the music and drum channels around but still limited volume from the AI. As another test, I connected the AI output directly into my ATH M50 headphones (via splitter) and all worked fine. So it appears to be something with the mixer accepting input from the AI output.

If I output from the AI to the mixers “2 Track” RCA jack input on the mixer it works fine. Except then I loose the ability to control the volume and EQ Spotify. There is no separate control for Spotify as it does not go through “controlled” ports.

Now, if I output from the AI’s headphone jack to the mixers input, all works fine. I can control the volume and EQ of drum and Spotify separately. My question here is though, isn’t it better to use the AI’s L&R RCA jack output rather then the AI’s 1/8-inch? It just seems like the 1/8-inch (3.5mm) jack is a bit flimsy, particularly when compared to either RCA or ¼-inch (6.35mm) jacks.

Any suggestions, thoughts, or opinions will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve, I am pretty sure you have hit upon a little know but infuriating feature of the UCA 202, the line out level CAN be very low, some 30dB below that indicated in software.
I am sure the fix is easy. Go into Windows Sounds menu. First ensure the 202 is set as 'default audio device' and check Replay then 'level' I am sure you will find it wound down. Crank it to 100%.

If you cannot sort it, come back and I will dig out my own 202 and post a screen shot.

Dave.

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the response. I did try what you said but to no avail. I verified that the 202 was the default device. I did not see “Replay” (I am running Win10). However, I did verify that all volumes were set to 100% (Playback and Record).

For now I’m going to keep using the 202’s 1/8-inch (3.5mm) jack as my output. It appears to be doing what I want so I guess if it works don’t fix it. My initial concern was how flimsy the small jack is compared to either RCA or ¼-inch jacks, but I do have the 202 tucked away so it should not be a problem.

Again, my thanks,
Steve

Back