Low volume

jacobliford

Hi,
I'm using a Behringer 1222fx mixer connected to my pc via the RCA tape outputs. I have tried using the mic in which either has very low vocal volumes. Or so loud it distorts. I have tried using the Line in on my pc card and the volumes are so low you can't even hear them even with gain and levels all the way up. I also tried plugging it into a usb audio interface with same results. I've checked my audio mixer within windows and all the recording volumes seem to be pretty high. Any suggestions? I have a xlr to rca cable that I could run from my main outs on my mixer to the line in on my sound card but do you think this would help?

meter reading

you say you have a usb audio interface and you are still having problems?
what are you using?

as long as your readings are good on the meters you should be fine. mixes always seam pretty low until you master them. I like to record at around -5 (that leaves me room for fx). I also like to solo each track with fx and bring the fader to 0 and try not to peak throughout the song. I'll do this for all the tracks, and then bring them down, unsolo and mix them back into each other.
i'll also do this for the groups, and bring the groups to the master fader and try to keep the master fader around -5 (for the mastering stage).

if i put a mix on a cd at -5 with no comp/limit you will have to raise the volume knob way up to hear it.

-mike-

you say you have a usb audio interface and you are still having problems?
what are you using?

I"m using a Behringer u-controll uca200

I'm very new to all of this but my guitars which we are putting mikes pointing at the guitar amps and running through the same mixer. Drum set miked with same mixer all sound pretty good. But When we put the vocals down you can hardly hear them in the song. I just can't figure out were i'm going wrong.

creativity

some dynamics require lots of gain (sm57).
some preamps contain more noise than others

the simple and expensive answer would be to get a class A pre-amp.
the more attainable answer would be to get creative. double track your vocals, overlay certain key parts in the vocals. then play with the eq reverb and compressor. you can make it work, you just have to experiment. and make sure you are recording at least to -6 but not up to 0.

there is no one answer is right advice, but this is my best suggestion for your situation at this point in your journey.

try it,
understand it, then
create your own way.

-mike-

some dynamics require lots of gain (sm57).
some preamps contain more noise than others

the simple and expensive answer would be to get a class A pre-amp.
the more attainable answer would be to get creative. double track your vocals, overlay certain key parts in the vocals. then play with the eq reverb and compressor. you can make it work, you just have to experiment. and make sure you are recording at least to -6 but not up to 0.

there is no one answer is right advice, but this is my best suggestion for your situation at this point in your journey.

try it,
understand it, then
create your own way.

-mike-

Thanks for your help, I"m thinking of getting this audio interface Lexicon Alpha USB Desktop Recording Studio along with Behringer MDX2600 Composer Pro-XL Compressor. My thoughts as of now I'm using an realtek on board audio card that came with my windows vista machine. Probably not the best for recording. But question is Can I run my Behringer mixer into the Behringer Compressor and then into the m audio recording studio and get a good result. Or since the maudio and the mixer both have preamps would the usb defeat the purpose of the compressor?

$$$

Thanks for your help, I"m thinking of getting this audio interface Lexicon Alpha USB Desktop Recording Studio along with Behringer MDX2600 Composer Pro-XL Compressor. My thoughts as of now I'm using an realtek on board audio card that came with my windows vista machine. Probably not the best for recording. But question is Can I run my Behringer mixer into the Behringer Compressor and then into the m audio recording studio and get a good result. Or since the maudio and the mixer both have preamps would the usb defeat the purpose of the compressor?

instead of the lexicon i would suggest a Delta44
instead of the outboard comp. i would suggest DMP-3
you can use the DMP-3 and the mixer to mic the drum kit (if you want more than 2 inputs)
but most of all, if you only have 99 bucks to spend i would get an sm58
*There is a huge line between "inexpensive" and "cheap crap"

by the way, at this point you will be better of with a plugin comp then an outboard.

-mike-

Check your P.M's

Back