Low input from Sennheiser md421

Yes, I've soldered the cable like this. I understand that this is the rear view?

The pins should be numbered, but the numbers may be very small. I was trying to work out what would happen you got it wrong, you could end up with an unbalanced mic with a loss of some dB due to the shield and on of the pins being bridged through the mic?

Alan.

Any remote, far fetched chance that the OP might be using the 421 as a side address mic due to its similarity to an LDC, rather than as an end fired mic? This could account for a low output.

Came upon this which was interesting........

"I finally got one of the infamous GLS ES-57 mics (SM57 clones)...
Suprisingly good sounding mic. As reported before, it has a higher output than an SM57 (significantly hotter), but doesn't really sound anything like a SM57. I did a side-by-side comparison, and believe it or not, the ES-57 sounds way more like an MD421 than an SM57. Think a MD421 with a hotter output, more presence in the 800-1K range, and a tiny bit less 6-10K and there you go."

I finally got one of the infamous GLS ES-57 mics (SM57 clones)...

The pins should be numbered, but the numbers may be very small. I was trying to work out what would happen you got it wrong, you could end up with an unbalanced mic with a loss of some dB due to the shield and on of the pins being bridged through the mic?

Alan.

Unfortunately, Sennheiser applied rather peculiar standards and these numbers will not match XLR:

the421.gif

Nevertheless, I think I got it right as the shield pin will always be the middle one (in Kleintuchel connector). It is possible that I've wired incorrectly pins (-) and (+), however I assume that this should result in nothing more than reversed polarity. At the moment I think that Focusrite 2i2 simply provides too little gain.

Back