Loud Hiss and low volume

NostraHistoria

I bought the Syba SD-CM-UAUD USB Stereo Audio Adapter, C-Media Chipset, RoHS to connect from my JCM 900 into my computer. When I use Audacity to record, my clean sound from my guitar has very low volume, and there is a terrible hiss. Do I need to get a mixer in between my JCM 900 and my computer? Someone at my local guitar shop said I need it. If I do, can you recommend one? I just record for myself.

Back in 2000 and 2001, I recorded onto a 4-track and then I used to plug the 4-track into my computer to record on Audacity. I do not have a 4-track anymore.

That Syba thing is for gaming/Skype headsets, not for recording. You don't need a mixer, you need an audio interface designed for recording.

The quality you get from connecting the amp directly to an interface may or may not be okay. Usually the best way to record guitar amps is with a microphone aimed at the cabinet, but if that doesn't work for your situation look into guitar sims. With a sim you can connect the guitar directly to the interface and use the computer to give the guitar that amplified sound.

Thanks for the info. I have two more questions. Can I use a mixer instead of an audio interface to record on my computer? If I had to pick between Behringer Xenyx 802 or Behringer UCA202, which would you recommend?

If you use a mixer you're still going through your stock sound card. An audio interface will connect via USB and avoid going through the sound card. The quality is better and there are features designed to make recording easier.

There are mixer/interfaces that look a lot like that Xenyx 802 but connect to the computer with USB. If you must have something that looks like a mixer maybe get one of those.

I bought the Syba SD-CM-UAUD USB Stereo Audio Adapter, C-Media Chipset, RoHS to connect from my JCM 900 into my computer.

Why? If you made this choice yourself, then that's a mistake and we all make them, no probs, but if someone advised you, be wary of their advice in future.

When I use Audacity to record, my clean sound from my guitar has very low volume, and there is a terrible hiss. Do I need to get a mixer in between my JCM 900 and my computer? Someone at my local guitar shop said I need it. If I do, can you recommend one? I just record for myself.

Back in 2000 and 2001, I recorded onto a 4-track and then I used to plug the 4-track into my computer to record on Audacity. I do not have a 4-track anymore.

Suggest you find a new guitar shop. Buy an audio interface - that's how it's done these days. Read the stickies up above. And Audacity isn't really a long term solution either, but that's another conversation.

Thanks for all the advice. I go from my JCM900's effects signal into my computer. I do not bother with mics.

Which interface do you recommend? I do not need the best one. I just record for myself as a hobby.

Is the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 the interface guitarists get to record on their computers?

Quoted from a guitar forum about the 2i2:

Although the 2i2 instrument input was designed to work with a wide range of guitars in mind. Due to electric guitars having such a wide dynamic range over models, the input will occasionally clip with certain guitars with higher outputs. We are aware of this issue with the 2i2 and all we can suggest is to use a D.I box or turn down the output level of the guitar, but we are looking into improving this with future Scarlett products.

(and my acoustic/electric runs hot on my 2i2 also)

Last edited:
Ghaaa!
ANOTHER suggestion for the 2i2! It is an OK interface but I fail to see how it get recommended so often and in so many places!?

The Steinberg UR22 is better IMO and a cheaper and has MIDI. The Alesis iO2 is not quite as good as either but is very good value.

The NI KA6 is half the money of the UR22 again but blows them all out of the water for connectivity and low latency.

Dave.

Back