Lots of problems with new microphone set-up.

mikerkrafter

Hello everyone, first time poster here.

I was hoping someone with some expertise could give me some help in troubleshooting here. I recently bought an audio interface (Behringer UMC202HD) so that I could set up a condenser mic (AKG Perception 220) that I have to my computer. Unfortunately I've been running into several issues that are inhibiting their use. In audacity I've been able to create recordings using the mic and interface, but the program doesn't want to let me record more than the initial track. After hitting record, the marker just sits at the beginning of the track until I hit the stop button.

Additionally, the microphone signals aren't being picked up when I try live recording on Facebook or in Adobe Premiere Pro CC. Even in Audacity the ability to record an initial track isn't always guaranteed. I have made sure in every program I use that the hardware settings have the correct device (Behringer UMC202HD) selected for the input and output, but for some reason most of the programs that I have been using don't seem to be receiving the audio signal from the AI. The signal lights on the AI light up when the microphone is stimulated, but the volume meters on each program I use are flat every time. I checked in the Control Panel and designated the correct microphone to be the default for my computer. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers several times as well, but nothing seems to be the right fix.

I'm using a Windows 10 PC laptop, and I'm also going to attach some pictures to this post to help illustrate what's going on my end for anyone reading. The first picture is just a diagram detailing my hardware set-up, and the second two are screenshots of the DAW when I try to record, as well as the Audio In/Out and Interface settings I have currently in Audacity.

I would be eternally appreciative if someone with more detailed knowledge in this area could help me understand and fix the problem here so I can start recording stuff.

Attachments

• Audio Setup.jpg
    Audio Setup.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Audacity 1.jpg
    Audacity 1.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Audacity 2.jpg
    Audacity 2.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 10
I was just testing this, All you should have to do is hit record again and it will automatically add a track and start recording. If you add a track manually, it doesn't record. At least for my quick test.

If I stop and then record again the marker starts to move but nothing records. I haven't been manually adding tracks, just auto-record.

Not knowing other preferences you might have set, does this help? You hit Stop on the first track and when hit Record again it opens a new track. You may have something else set in Preferences that could be problem as well.

Attachments

• new track.jpg
    new track.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 12
Perhaps you have a different version than the one I am using? I don't seem to have that option in preferences.
Audacity_Preferences.jpg

---------- Update ----------

Image should be attached to the post here with full preferences.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps you have a different version than the one I am using? I don't seem to have that option in preferences....
I just updated to the latest version, 2.2.1, from 2.1.2. I didn't have the option in the earlier version but it's there in the newest one. (Mac OS X)

Perhaps you have a different version than the one I am using? I don't seem to have that option in preferences.
Just checked the version I posted.......... 2.2.0
Just downloaded the update 2.2.1

I sort of remember older versions defaulted to opening a new track each time Record was hit and I can't recall if there was an option in preferences to change it.

Just checked the version I posted.......... 2.2.0
Just downloaded the update 2.2.1

I sort of remember older versions defaulted to opening a new track each time Record was hit and I can't recall if there was an option in preferences to change it.
My version is 2.0.2 and it is very different from the one in the posted pictures.

My version is 2.0.2 and it is very different from the one in the posted pictures.
After the upgrade to 2.2.1 this is what it looks like on my MacBook. I don't know if the clean-install default is to have the box unchecked or if it picked that up from how it was [invisibly] set in the earlier version.
audacityprefs221.png

I took a look into the control panel again and noticed that while the audio interface device is indeed set to default, the computer doesn't appear to be receiving any of the signal from it. The built-in computer microphone on the other hand seems to be picking up signal just fine. Also, the output signal from the computer through the AI to the monitors is functioning.

With this in mind, it appears as though the reason for the various programs not working with the microphone is stemming from this point. Bumping this to see if this new information can narrow down any possible fixes? :confused:

du5Q0J.png

EDIT: For clarification, signal from the mic is being picked up by the interface device, indicated by the lamp blinking, but not from the AI to the computer.

I just loaded Audacity, with my UMC 204hd I have the same problem. I keep getting an latency offset error. It won't let me record after I have first track recorded. I went through the different ASIO and MME settings same thing. I'll try ASIO for all to see if it helps.

you're on the right track, Windows Wasapi
, set the behringer as default in windows recording and playback, make sure enhancements are off. I got mine to work fine, Edit preferences in Audacity, Windows Wasapi, select behringer umc, mono (or stereo if you want stereo). under preferences in recording select always record on new track. mine started working fine.. I did have to download and reinstall the UMC drivers for windows 10 again. they may have been updated at behringers site. They don't post up revisions that I can tell

Back