Looking for a software program that fits my needs

mzfmduir

I compose music using Anvil Studio. It has a nice, straightforward interface that I like as someone who usually writes staff music as opposed to playing an instrument. I edit audio using Adobe Audition. Ditto with liking the straightforward interface there. I need a way to bridge the gap between those two programs, though.

I used to have a software program that would do this for me. It let me import MIDIs from Anvil Studio, run them through some VST instruments, and then record the output as a waveform that I could import to Audition for editing. I got it as a pack-in with the cheapest, worst MIDI keyboard controller you could possibly buy from Musician's Friend about a decade ago and don't even remember its name. The program was not 64-bit Windows 7 compatible so when my 32-bit Windows XP machine finally became unusable, that was the end of that.

I tried downloading a few demo versions of programs that I thought might do the job (like FL Studio), but they all seem so complex and hard to use. I could not figure out how to do this simple task in those programs. I just need something simple and straightforward. Preferably freeware but if I have to pay I will.

A few free choices:

PreSonus Studio One 3 Prime
Sony ACID Xpress 7.0
Tracktion Software T4
Zynewave Podium Free

Also free:

Avid Pro Tools First (but if I'm not mistaken you can't save to your local computer, only to the cloud)

There are also some inexpensive DAWs that you can try for free. The most popular one by far around here:

Cockos REAPER

You're correct that most DAWs seem to be complex, but that's probably because of their power and versatility. Once you start to learn your way around them, they usually don't seem as difficult to use. So the best thing to do is pick one and fiddle around with it long enough to learn your way around it. If you decide it just isn't for you, or is missing some feature that you absolutely can't do without, pick another one to try out for a while. And if you want to try one that many of the people here can probably help you with, pick REAPER. :)

Download the demo of Samplitude Pro X ll . Yes, huge and far too expensive but actually very intuitive to use.
If you get on start to look for "Samplitude Pro X Silver". This has the same "engine" but is limited to 8 tracks and is totally free. I say "start to look for..." because I tried, briefly the other day and MAGIX seem to have hidden it!

Once again MAGIX...FFS bring out a "lite" version of Pro X for about a nifty! The "Home Studio" stuff just does not cut it.

Dave.

MAGIX has acquired ACID from Sony Creative Software, so they've recently redesigned their web site. Not that I'm actually familiar with what their web site used to look like, but it stands to reason that they must have updated it to reflect their updated product line. I can't find the email I got from Sony Creative Software a while back announcing the acquisition-- I guess I deleted it-- but I got an email from MAGIX (news@vegas.magix.net) on July 7 welcoming me to "MAGIX Audio World." That's probably why you can no longer find "Samplitude Pro X Silver."

MAGIX has acquired ACID from Sony Creative Software, so they've recently redesigned their web site. Not that I'm actually familiar with what their web site used to look like, but it stands to reason that they must have updated it to reflect their updated product line. I can't find the email I got from Sony Creative Software a while back announcing the acquisition-- I guess I deleted it-- but I got an email from MAGIX (news@vegas.magix.net) on July 7 welcoming me to "MAGIX Audio World." That's probably why you can no longer find "Samplitude Pro X Silver."

Ah! You are probably right! I seem to recall getting a similar email from MAGIX. I do actually have PXS downloaded somewhere but I don't know if they would still activate it for me. I have Samplitude SE8 on this laptop but have misplaced the "universal" code* that activates it so I cannot get it working on other computers. Been a Sam fan since I got SE8 free in a magazine. As my other post, if MAGIX would release something like SE8 updated (W7 struggles) I would gladly bung them fifty quid or so!

*NO! Not a crack! A code that MAGIX sent me yonks ago but which just seems to work all the time for SE8 on any PC.

Dave.

I have Samplitude SE8 on this laptop but have misplaced the "universal" code* that activates it so I cannot get it working on other computers.

Hmm, there might be a way to retrieve it. Install the free "Belarc Advisor" program ( Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit, for software, hardware and security configuration information on your computer. Software license management, IT asset management, cyber security audits, and more. ) on the laptop where you've got Samplitude activated, then run it to get a list of installed software-- first it may prompt you about updating a security listing or something like that. After you've updated the security listing, it will take a little while (depending on how many things you've got installed) to inspect your system, then it should create an HTML page on your computer and display it in your browser, showing all kinds of information about your system that you probably didn't even know that you didn't want to know! There should be a list of links at the left-- click "Software Licenses" to jump down to the section that lists licenses for your installed software. Hopefully Samplitude Pro X Silver will be included in that list, along with its license key.

Cakewalk used to have a decent staff view. It wasn't Sibelius, but it was good. AND it did a fair job at being a DAW. I'm just wondering if the free d/l of Sonar might be worth checking out for you. Spin the wheel, kick the tires, you know?

They seem to have taken the suite. My mail for SoundForge is coming from them now, too. Gave up on SoundForge when upgrades wouldn't support my XP to 7 jump.

Cakewalk used to have a decent staff view.

Drat, I forgot that he said he prefers composing with a staff view! I'll have to reassess the list I posted. :(

They seem to have taken the suite. My mail for SoundForge is coming from them now, too. Gave up on SoundForge when upgrades wouldn't support my XP to 7 jump.

That's weird that Sound Forge wouldn't work on Windows 7 (if that's what you're saying). I don't have Sound Forge, but ACID Xpress runs on Windows 10 no problem, so I'd think that SoundForge would, too (and be backward-compatible with 7). Or are you talking about an older version of SoundForge? I generally like to keep my programs up-to-date-- although that also depends on how expensive they are to update, and I know that Sound Forge Pro ain't exactly cheap. I'm all about free or inexpensive whenever possible! :)

That's weird that Sound Forge wouldn't work on Windows 7 (if that's what you're saying). I don't have Sound Forge, but ACID Xpress runs on Windows 10 no problem, so I'd think that SoundForge would, too (and be backward-compatible with 7). Or are you talking about an older version of SoundForge? I generally like to keep my programs up-to-date-- although that also depends on how expensive they are to update, and I know that Sound Forge Pro ain't exactly cheap. I'm all about free or inexpensive whenever possible! :)

Years ago. I was on SoundForge 8 and changed operating systems (on the same machine) and it no longer worked. Got with their CS and they said I'd have to buy the new version (10 at that time) at full price (like $400). I was only using the stupid wavehammer feature anyway. Just gave up on it completely.

Reaper has a notation editor also. I have no use for it, but people seem pretty satisfied. The one thing about Reaper being it doesn't come with much for instruments. It runs most VSTis fine, but you'll have to find them somewhere else.

Not cheap but I know it works...

I mix and edit in Audition as well and I often work with/for a composer who uses Sonar. He can work in staff view or piano roll depending on his mood then render the tracks to wave files for me to mix on his behalf. FYI, Sonar can also handle mixing and wave files but neither my friend or I find it very user friendly.

I have to say that, whatever software you choose, you're going to have to spend some time on a learning curve. Even the ones that claim to be (are) fairly easy to use need some time spent getting comfortable with the basics. I have yet to find ANY audio-based software that that didn't generate some head scratching to start with.

I only do editing for commercial radio broadcast, but if I read you right, the link that is missing is recording the final MIDI output as a WAV file? If that is correct, I believe there are some tricks you use with Audition to have it record your computer output. I'd do a search for that as opposed to finding some software. Then again, I may have gotten your question all wrong.

I too missed the "staff/notation" thing. So, look at the Forte range of notation softwares, all available as 30 day trials so it could be Christmas until you need to pay!

There, is (or used to be) a basic FREE version of Forte. There are other notation proggs' but the names escape me for now. Also look at Modartt's Pianoteq.

Dave.

Yes, there's a free version of Forte-- Forte Free.

There's also a free version of Finale-- Finale NotePad.

A rather robust free notation program is MuseScore.

Then there's NCH Crescendo, which is rather basic but easy to use-- I actually prefer it over the others when it comes to quickly recording musical phrases that have been running through my head.

Notation is another program, but the free version (Notation Player) is strictly for playing back MIDIs and scores.

There's also an online program called Noteflight, but I've only recently been made aware of it and haven't checked it out in any detail yet.

Back