Looking for small MIDI keyboard

musicace17

All right,
I've been looking for weeks for the exact keyboard I need for a project I've been working on and I've finally joined this website just so I can post my question and hopefully get what I need, so thanks for bearing with me (if you read all of this).
For the environment I play in live, I typically cover bass because I feel I accomplish the most in that field and very much enjoy it, but primarily I am a keyboardist. Due to the lack of keyboard players in our cycling team of band members, I need to cover piano intros to specific songs and maybe throw in some pads when the bass isn't being played (a toned down part of the song, quiet intro, etc.). I recently purchased a double-necked electric bass/electric guitar and plan to remove the pickups/neck of the guitar, which is further from my head on the guitar body than the bass. When that space is open, I will put a small midi keyboard on that area so I can just reach there and play the intros and such without the hassle of having my large 88-key workstation blocking me onstage.
This is where you come in.
The average length of the bass body that will be empty is 14 inches. I need a keyboard that size or smaller with MIDI OUT so I can run it to my larger keyboard offstage, but I really would benefit (cord management wise) from having the keyboard battery powered. Just nice additions would be a pitch bend/mod wheel there, but is not necessary. So much searching has gone on for this on my part, and there's typically just one thing wrong with each keyboard I found online (too long, no battery-power, no midi out, etc.).

If you skimmed that, here's a small summary of must haves:
BATTERY POWERED
SMALLER THAN/EQUAL TO 14 in.
NO COMPUTER INVOLVED, JUST CONTROLLER KEYBOARD TO BIGGER KEYBOARD <<<<this one especially!

Before you ask:
No, the band does not run on a click, otherwise I'd track all the keyboard parts and not worry about it.
No, I don't have the budget for in-ears either.
No, having a smaller keyboard on a mic stand confines me to that space, no matter the amount of wireless tech I use, and it's too awkward for me...I'm sticking with my double neck body plan for now :)

In this search, I've also come to wonder if there is wireless MIDI and if I could use that to completely eradicate extra cords other than my 1/4 in. for the bass. I found wireless midi to usb transmitters, but I don't want to involve any computer in this process, just straight to my other keyboard, and that's where I got lost in nothingness from what the internet had to offer.

So sorry for the long post, but I know you guys will have a good solution for me!
Thanks so much for your future help!!!

-Musicace17

Hi Ace!
I shall look about for a keyboard for you, the Korg Nano was my first thought but no MIDI out Grrr!

But, most kbds now are USB powered even if the HAVE DIN out put and many do not have a power input socket. This can be solved by butchering a USB lead and connecting to an AA battery pack (Maplin) to give a nominal 6volts.

Dave.

Yep, definitely need that MIDI out on it, but thanks for contributing!

---------- Update ----------

This looks really cool! Would this mean that Korg Nano would be able to be used with this and control my other keyboard?

Back