Looking for high resolution playback control

1voyager2

I'm not sure which forum group this should go in. So, I'll start it here.

I am looking for a software that can give a high resolution graphic equalizer function separately and independently of each other for the L and R tracks of a stereo playback.
I want to be able to tweak each of the tracks at various frequencies throughout their audio spectrum independently of the other track.

Everything I've found so far applies its filters to both tracks equally, unless the balance between the tracks is adjusted. Balance doesn't do the job either because it simply changes the volume of an entire track in relation to the other.

I'm finding it hard to find people that understand what I'm asking.
I'm hoping I'll find someone here that understands what my question is.

Some lateral thinking: split your stereo track into two mono tracks, one panned hard left and the other hard right. Perform all your effects on the separate tracks then mix the two down to a single mono again.

That is probably the best answer. Once you split the stereo track into two mono tracks, it becomes easy to do different things with the two sides.

Those tracks can be then sent to a stereo bus or group, where you can apply plugins that you want to apply to both sides equally.

You didn't mention video or the need to do it live before!

If you're willing to process the film before watching it, Most video editing software would allow you to split the tracks (or just put the stereo track down twice for you to pan one left and one right. Depending on the software you buy most video editing has basic EQ (and what you're asking for is basic in audio terms).

FYI, simply buying a VST plug in wouldn't do what you want...they're called plug ins because they "plug in" to audio mixing/editing software.

I'll let others suggest video software for you--I use one called Premiere Pro which is not cheap and probably has far too many complications for you.

Now that you have explained what you want to do and why, a hardware solution would be the only way to do it. Put the eq between the computer and the speakers and that eq will be applied to everything you play on the computer. There is no need to record or edit anything, simply listen through it.

If you go the hardware route, something like this: dbx 215s | Sweetwater would probably do the job for you--it's only 15 band but that's still enough to make a big difference. On top of the box you'd need cables to come out of your TV into the box, them more to combine the two outputs into a stereo headphone feed. Note that there are lots of units like this around (and lots of suppliers). This was just the first that came up on my search.

I'm using a 12-band (?) A.D.C. Soundshaper 2 Mk III. I don't need to be very surgical, so the 12-band was fine

Back