Looking to build my own home studio, need help!

Martinsaurusrex

Hey guys, so I record most of my music out of my old home studio that was owned by my brother (all of the equipment was his) so I didn't really have to worry about any of the actual equipment... up until last night when I got the news that he's moving the remainder of his stuff. (That means everything I was using :[!) And I figured I would come here seeing as how I know some of you are audiophiles and could help me out. Anyway, all I need to know is what do I need? Seeing as how I didn't build my old studio, I don't know what to get for this one! If it means anything, I'm going to be using a Windows based computer for the editing, but as of August or September I'm going to be getting a new Macbook. So if you could give me a list of things I need then that'd be awesome!

Currently I'm looking at home bundles so I could save a little bit of cash, there's a few on guitar-center.com that I'm looking at. I'll put the link once I get 4 more posts, seeing as how that's the rule here.

Now what else am I missing? My brothers studio costed him thousands upon thousands of dollars, so I'm completely clueless as to what else to get, I'm not looking to spend more than like ~600 dollars on all of this though more will be available to me as I get paid.

Thanks in advance, and cheers <3

May as well throw this out there;

I'm going to be doing vocal recording, acoustic recording (acoustic guitar and ukulele) and electric recording (electric piano/synth and electric guitar/bass) Thanks all <3

Hi Martin,

This is a great time to have to build you own set-up. I'm guessing that if your brother's studio cost him thousands upon thousands of clams, he started building that up at least 7-10 years ago, am I right? Things are quite a bit more affordable now.

If you have a budget of 600 dollars, my recommendation would be this:
-Mic - Rode NT1A: $220
-interface - M-Audio Fast Track Pro - $200
-Software - ProTools SE - $0 since it comes bundled with the Fast Track Pro (usually...might need to check)
-Guitar/Bass Interface - Line 6 POD Studio UX2 USB Computer Recording Interface: $160

For $580 you have a pro setup that will RAWK.

Later you'll want to add more and different mics, more virtual instruments and effects, etc. Also, you'll want to add decent monitors as soon as your budget allows. But for now, kickin' studio for under $600.00.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Ken Theriot
Home Recording – Use Your PC Recording Studio For Pro Audio

Hi Martin,

This is a great time to have to build you own set-up. I'm guessing that if your brother's studio cost him thousands upon thousands of clams, he started building that up at least 7-10 years ago, am I right? Things are quite a bit more affordable now.

If you have a budget of 600 dollars, my recommendation would be this:
-Mic - Rode NT1A: $220
-interface - M-Audio Fast Track Pro - $200
-Software - ProTools SE - $0 since it comes bundled with the Fast Track Pro (usually...might need to check)
-Guitar/Bass Interface - Line 6 POD Studio UX2 USB Computer Recording Interface: $160

For $580 you have a pro setup that will RAWK.

Later you'll want to add more and different mics, more virtual instruments and effects, etc. Also, you'll want to add decent monitors as soon as your budget allows. But for now, kickin' studio for under $600.00.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Ken Theriot
Home Recording – Use Your PC Recording Studio For Pro Audio

You forgot a pair of monitors.
I use Fast Track Pro, yes they do give you pro tools m-powered, but its a demo version
they also include another DAW called ableton lite

Answered this question earlier, here goes again.....

Shop around......don't be afraid to go used......Craigslist can be your friend!

Recently, I outfitted my meager, beginners home studio with an M-Audio FasTrack II interface from CL for $35, a pair of used M-Audio AV-40 monitors for $65 from Daddy's Junky Music and an M-Audio KeyRig 49 MIDI keyboard on sale at GC.

If you're like me, you've probably got a mic or two lying around that you can use for vocals and/or instruments.

While I realize that most of the gear listed is considered entry level, that's where I'm at...entry level. But, it's gotten me started, I having fun with it...and I haven't spent $200 yet!

Back