Looking for a basic PC-less setup for Industrial Metal

TheGroobster

Hey everyone,

I am currently hoping to start a project that mixes elements of thrash metal and industrial similar to Fear Factory, Ministry, KMFDM, Godflesh, Cynic etc...

I am also looking to avoid using a PC. I find my creativity gets sapped and I get too distracted with stuff like video games and social media.

I don't care about mixing and mastering other than basic volume levels, panning etc.

The gear I currently have is a Line6 Spider IV amp with a footswitch, and a 7 string Ibanez guitar. I also have a Steinberg CI 1 but I assume that is useless without a PC to plug into. I have been using a speed/pitch shifter app on my phone to practise along with my music collection.

Anyhow one piece of gear I have been eyeing is the Alesis SR-18. It is on sale at my local music shop and I know that previous versions have been used by Industrial Metal bands.

So really the only other pieces I am looking for are a multi-track recorder for bass, guitar, keyboard/samples, vocals(maybe), and drums.
As well as a synth.

I am on a budget so I am looking into the low to mid range of devices. I may even see if I can get something second hand.

If anyone can give me any suggestions I would be eternally grateful. There are just so many options and I am feeling overwhelmed. The prices are quite high for a lot of these devices as well. At least for the multi-track recorders. As I said, I am just looking to make some demo albums and see how it goes from there. Nothing like professional studio quality mastering or anything. Actually with the genre I am trying to aim at, having a super polished sound may not be ideal.

If you read through all of this you are amazing. Thank you.

There's lots of stuff like this around -'stand alone recorder/mixers
Zoom R24 | Sweetwater
Not so sure how much easier it makes it -recording yes likely, but 'mixing etc, plus running into limitations, unknown 'gotchas'? Stuff you may not know or to ask about until you run into them.
You came to a good place.
Welcome to the journey :)

There's lots of stuff like this around -'stand alone recorder/mixers
Zoom R24 | Sweetwater
Not so sure how much easier it makes it -recording yes likely, but 'mixing etc, plus running into limitations, unknown 'gotchas'? Stuff you may not know or to ask about until you run into them.
You came to a good place.
Welcome to the journey :)

Wow the R24 is really really nice especially for the price. Although, I think I definitely want the SR18 for the drums specifically because it also has an instrument input. I think this will really help with the songwriting process. Then when I have some songs I am happy with I can look at picking up the R24 because I will probably want to start adding in samples, synths, vocals, bass etc... The 24 tracks will become very, very useful.

The only thing I am thinking is that, let's say I write a few songs using the SR18 and guitar. The guitar is all going to be in my head. So I might want to have something more concrete. Something like a really cheap 4 track. 2 for the drums and 1 for guitar and maybe 1 for bass.

Anyways I will keep digging. But great suggestion with the R24. :thumbs up:

..The only thing I am thinking is that, let's say I write a few songs using the SR18 and guitar. The guitar is all going to be in my head. So I might want to have something more concrete. Something like a really cheap 4 track. 2 for the drums and 1 for guitar and maybe 1 for bass.
Anyways I will keep digging. But great suggestion with the R24. :thumbs up:
Understand I'm not endorsing it, it's just an example of things one becomes aware of along the way.
A four track -'something more concrete'?- As in addition to'? Not Shure where you're going there. :>)

Understand I'm not endorsing it, it's just an example of things one becomes aware of along the way.
A four track -'something more concrete'?- As in addition to'? Not Shure where you're going there. :>)

Haha very punny. :facepalm: What I mean is, I am afraid I will forget my guitar riffs. :o

Also, I am just seeing an issue with the SR18. Digital multitrack devices do not seem to have midi IN anymore so syncing the MIDI clock is not going to be an option unless I can find an older device that supports it. That leaves me with 2 options.

1. Use the L/R out on the SR18 and record the drums into the R24.
2. Skip the SR18 entirely and just use the R24 to create my own drum loops.

The more I look into it the more it sense it seems to make to skip the SR18 entirely. It seems like it comes with plenty of drum sounds and it seems like I can add my own drum samples if I want to.

Programming in double bass seems like it will be a bit of a pain but I wonder if I can program in a basic double bass pattern and use that as a blueprint for future patterns.

Dude, it seems like you hit the nail right on the head with the R24 the more I look into it. :thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up:

Industrial music tends to have a lot of post processing (and synths), things you'll need a PC for eventually if you want to control how it sounds in the end. Otherwise expect to spend a lot on amps and rack mounted effects. If you're already looking at the price tag for things, then going PC will ultimately be much cheaper (especially when you consider the huge jump in flexibility). If price isn't an issue, then outboard gear.

Industrial music tends to have a lot of post processing (and synths), things you'll need a PC for eventually if you want to control how it sounds in the end. Otherwise expect to spend a lot on amps and rack mounted effects. If you're already looking at the price tag for things, then going PC will ultimately be much cheaper (especially when you consider the huge jump in flexibility). If price isn't an issue, then outboard gear.

Good point. What I might do is get a multi track device to aid in the song writing process. Then when I feel like I really have something worthy, I can possible rent some studio time or even look to collab with someone and hopefully get to sit with them a bit and learn from them.

The thing about PC is. I have actually had a major problem recently with depression which led me to become addicted to video games. I have recently given my PC to a family member for safekeeping while I recover. So you can see why I am so hesitant to use a PC as my main DAW. But if I rent time at a studio or something I would feel a lot safer. It's like when I was in college. I used to stay at the college if I needed to get work done because I knew if I went home I would never get it done. Unfortunately after college it kind of spiralled out of control over several years. But at least now I am getting lots of support and am well on my way to recovery. :)

Oh and another thing I realized about the R24 is that I do not think I can use my Line Out from my Line6 Spider amp because it is a stereo out and the R24 is only taking mono. So I think will have to use the onboard multi-effects. But as this is just for the songwriting process I don't think is too big of a deal.

Oh and another thing I realized about the R24 is that I do not think I can use my Line Out from my Line6 Spider amp because it is a stereo out and the R24 is only taking mono. So I think will have to use the onboard multi-effects. But as this is just for the songwriting process I don't think is too big of a deal.
Two mono tracks. Or, if you're not including stereo FX- just use one out.

Good point. What I might do is get a multi track device to aid in the song writing process. Then when I feel like I really have something worthy, I can possible rent some studio time or even look to collab with someone and hopefully get to sit with them a bit and learn from them.

The thing about PC is. I have actually had a major problem recently with depression which led me to become addicted to video games. I have recently given my PC to a family member for safekeeping while I recover. So you can see why I am so hesitant to use a PC as my main DAW. But if I rent time at a studio or something I would feel a lot safer. It's like when I was in college. I used to stay at the college if I needed to get work done because I knew if I went home I would never get it done. Unfortunately after college it kind of spiralled out of control over several years. But at least now I am getting lots of support and am well on my way to recovery. :)

You are however using a PC to contact HR? I doubt you could do as well on a phone? You can easily defeat network services on a PC so you won't get distracted by the Infernalweb. Games? Well don't load them up? The games built into Windows can be stopped/uninstalled I think. I nave had this HP i3 laptop some 5 years, never even LOOKED at a game much less played one!

Many people here eschew internet on their main music PC . I think you will struggle with a 'stand alone' recording system, you have already realized that MIDI will be a problem? Others will follow I am sure.

If you want quality, low latency, super stable drivers, MIDI and Cubase, look at the Native Instruments KA6.

Dave.

Along the same lines as Dave is suggesting, you could use a non-gaming caliber laptop for production. Just needs to be a relatively new (say 3000 series or newer) i5 Intel with 8GB of RAM. SSD drive would help. RAM and SSD are do it yourself upgrades. This way you have the computer power you need without the temptation, or ability to easily upgrade for gaming use.

You are however using a PC to contact HR? I doubt you could do as well on a phone? You can easily defeat network services on a PC so you won't get distracted by the Infernalweb. Games? Well don't load them up? The games built into Windows can be stopped/uninstalled I think. I nave had this HP i3 laptop some 5 years, never even LOOKED at a game much less played one!

Many people here eschew internet on their main music PC . I think you will struggle with a 'stand alone' recording system, you have already realized that MIDI will be a problem? Others will follow I am sure.

If you want quality, low latency, super stable drivers, MIDI and Cubase, look at the Native Instruments KA6.

Dave.

Hey Dave. I really appreciate your input. I am currently using a chromebook which only runs google chrome. I am currently "detoxing" (for lack of a better word) from the unhealthy behaviours I was engaging in. Hopefully (and most likely) in time I will be able to use a computer without being at risk of the slippery slope that I have fallen down in the past. Removing internet capabilities is a great idea and is one I will most likely explore. I have tried force of will with games. I get that for some people it works. But for me, it just did not work. It was a way of self medicating my depression. A way of escaping the doom and gloom that my mind was wearing like very dark tinted glasses.

I can see that my original goal was too ambitious and unrealistic. I have refined it to the point where I really just want something for the songwriting process. When I feel like I want to polish things up a bit more, I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

Cheers,
Erik

Along the same lines as Dave is suggesting, you could use a non-gaming caliber laptop for production. Just needs to be a relatively new (say 3000 series or newer) i5 Intel with 8GB of RAM. SSD drive would help. RAM and SSD are do it yourself upgrades. This way you have the computer power you need without the temptation, or ability to easily upgrade for gaming use.

Well, I have sworn off gaming for good. But I still need time to become safe in front of a proper computer again. Currently I am using a chromebook which only runs google chrome. It's similar to a gambling addiction. In fact I was going to group therapy where most of the people were there for gambling but I still found it helpful.

Anyways, I appreciate your suggestion. I have a decent desktop PC sitting at my Uncle's house and if I can remove the networking capability, I think that would be sufficient.

As I mentioned in reply to Dave, I have changed the scope of my initial post. I am now just concentrating on the songwriting part of my journey. I can start messing around with samples and adding effects to the drums etc at a later time. I want to get the riffs and basic drum patterns down for now.

Have you considered a 'Looper' pedal or amp?

Dave.

Hey Dave. Thanks for the suggestion. I have looked at the TC Wiretap Riff Repeater. The thing with that is, my amp (Line 6 Spider iv 75w) has build in effects. So unless I can use the stereo line out I can only record a dry signal.

The amp does have some loop functionality but I have only played with it a bit and it seemed lacking. However I will keep digging. Good suggestion.

Thanks again,
Erik

"Anyways, I appreciate your suggestion. I have a decent desktop PC sitting at my Uncle's house and if I can remove the networking capability, I think that would be sufficient."

That desktop is unlikely to have inbuilt WiFi capability* and so, if you don't plug in an RJ45 cable you cannot get on the net!
Re the games? We are always being told we should make a backup 'image' of our hard drives, so do that and then uninstall the games. Then, at some future date, the computer could be returned to status quo. Actually! You could turn a problem into a blessing! If the DT PC uses a mechanical hard drive, get an SSD then clone the HD to that. Most SSDs come with a cloning prog'.

*In fact, WiFi is often Public Enemy #1 for smooth audio work and is best disabled anyway.

BTW, you can get RJ45 outlets with a switch, intended to stop kids and employees wasting their time! Fit one such and give the key to someone. Then IF you need internet, driver dld say, you can get on for the duration.

https://www.hellermanntyton.com/shared/images600/28958_All_Languages.jpg

Dave.

Last edited:
Ok, so after some hunting I think I have found some interesting options.

There is something called Soundtrap which is a pretty bare bones DAW that runs in a web browser. The Chromebook I have probably won't be able to run very many tracks simultaneously but all I really want is a midi drum track and 2 guitars. I could look to grab a better one in the future because you can dual boot Linux for more options.

But this seems to be the best route for now to at least get some song ideas down. I will have to get a new audio interface because my Steinberg CI1 will not work with a Chromebook but that is not a huge deal. I will look to pick up a Shure SM 57/58 so I can record off of my amp's speaker. I think this is the the cheapest and safest option so far.

Back