Logic Pro missing project files

brummygit

hi all

not sure where i could/should have posted this, but i guess it's prob a newb question anyway...

I'm using logic pro 6. when i open one of my projects, i get an error message "Audio file ... not found" with options to search/skip/cancel, etc. i know it's cos these files are missing, but i also know that i don't need these files in my project anyway. i've tried saving my project as a new project and leaving unused audio files behind, but still to no avail...
so my question is...
how can i remove the links to these files from my project altogether?? the error message everytime i try to open the project is annoying.

Cheers

Mark

Although I don't have the Logic Pro series, I'm using the old 4.8.1 version, I also recieve these messages when I have decided that I did'nt need that particular wav in a song and I delete it. Usually, I just press the skip button and it lets me proceed with the program.

The only time the message comes up should be when you have failed to remove the file from the program. Just delete it from within the program and the message should go away. If you've done this already, then I'm kind of at a lose to what to do. :confused:

only problem is that i don't know how to remove it from the program. it's not in any of the track lanes, or the recycle bin or anything.

cheers for your help tho

that's bizarre that it's asking for audio files you weren't using in the first place.
i'm sure you haven't done something like rename your project folder, or move stuff around; that'd obviously cause a problem.

i've had this problem, but for legit reasons, when i've deleted stuff.

have you tried re-saving the project once you're in?
don't click on skip, 'cos that tells the program that you know it's not there, but don't worry about it now. what does cancel do?

i'm on logic 5.1 (only have a PC :() so i don't know if 6 has a file bin or some other source management interface.

logic will keep prompting you with the message until there are no links to the wav files in question.

there are two places to look. the first is the obvious one, which you seem to have checked already, the 'arrange' window.

the second place is to make sure they are not still referenced in the 'audio' window, i.e. the place where all the files used in the song are listed.

if you delee the files from both these places, you should be right

nope, can't seem to sort it. it's pretty irritating being faced with an error dialog box every time i open a song.

basically i guess, it leaves me with 2 questions:

1) how do i remove unreferenced audio files from a project? the reason i got into this mess was that i saved a project as an entirely new project, and set 'unused audio' to 'Leave' when the consolidation dialog comes up. but instead of just leaving the files where they are and removing them from the new project, the new project actually still has the files in the project manager. i tried cleaning up some space on my hard drive by deleting some old projects that i didnt use anymore, and that's when the error started. i wouldnt mind, but the error is coming up regarding files that i dont even use in my arrange window. when a file is listed in the project manager that doesnt exist anymore, it gets highlighted in red. i can't even just select it and pick a 'Remove from project' option, as i don't think there is one.

2) is their a better way, in Logic 6, to clean up a project. when i've done loads of parts on a track, i like to merge them all into one part to make it easier. this makes one new file from all the little files. but again, these little files don't just dissapear from the project.

am i being stupid?

if anyone actually has Logic 6 (not 7 or 5 etc) then can you let me know how you go about actually tidying things up?

Cheers

Mark

The only way to get rid of files that I know is to use the eraser tool. After I have consolidated all my files that I want into one file, I use the eraser to delete the unused files. Then I save the program. I then go into the folder, where I have the song and delete the files from there.

Have you looked into your emagic folder in the programs folder on your hard drive? Seems like I had a file end up there at one time, and could'nt find it anywhere else.

Last suggestion would be to contact emagic directly and maybe they may have the answer. There are also a few sites on the web that deal with Logic and may be able to solve your problem.

Had a thought last night but I don't know whether this is your problem but there are times when I have had one file underneath another file in the arrange window. It makes the file nearly invisible because it doe'nt tell you that its there. All you have to do to check under a file is to click on a track other than the one you're looking under and then move the file. If you find the file underneath one of the others this could solve your delema.

Back