Lexicon Alpha Issue

danrawl29

I recently switched from a Presonus AudioBox interface to a Lexicon Alpha interface (still using studio one DAW). I currently don't use a preamp. The presonus interface was able to get louder while still sounding clear. The Alpha struggles to get that loud and when it does, the sound quality is terrible. The question is: would a preamp fix that problem? Any other ideas?

Thanks

I am not sure what you are asking. Why did you switch from a low end interface to a cheaper, low end interface? No, a preamp will not improve a bad situation.

Give some more details. I'll try to help out any way I can.

:)

Jimmy

I am not sure what you are asking. Why did you switch from a low end interface to a cheaper, low end interface? No, a preamp will not improve a bad situation.

Give some more details. I'll try to help out any way I can.

Jimmy

The AudioBox was my friends. I just got the Alpha so I don't have to keep borrowing his.

What would a preamp do for my set up(electric guitar, mic, Alpha, laptop)?

Well, an additional preamp can help to add to the tone of a microphone, but given the interface you are using (includes a built in preamp), in my opinion, will not give you any benefit. So the answer is 'NO'.

More details would really help. What are you recording, and for what purpose? What do you have available to record with (mics, amps, drums)? What would you like to achieve?

If your goal is to record cats sniffing butt in a shed, then any crappy mic/preamp will work and I can give you step by step help. I'm assuming you have greater goals so, details are needed man.

Well, an additional preamp can help to add to the tone of a microphone, but given the interface you are using (includes a built in preamp), in my opinion, will not give you any benefit. So the answer is 'NO'.

More details would really help. What are you recording, and for what purpose? What do you have available to record with (mics, amps, drums)? What would you like to achieve?

If your goal is to record cats sniffing butt in a shed, then any crappy mic/preamp will work and I can give you step by step help. I'm assuming you have greater goals so, details are needed man.

I have a 2 man band (drums, guitar, rap)> I have successfully recorded around 6 songs with this band so I am not completely stupid(just mostly). We record each track separately.

I have one amp (marshall MG). I dont know how to record with it so I just plug the guitar directly into the interface. I use a single condenser mic to record drums(It sounds normal), and use the same condenser for vocals. Thats all I have; a condenser, small amp, and an Alpha Interface

Every song I made so far was with the Presonus AudioBox and I was very pleased with its results. Now I downgraded to the Alpha because my friend wont let me borrow the AudioBox anymore. When I researched the Alpha interface online it didnt look any worse than the AudioBox, but now my recordings are A LOT softer in volume. And when I try to make the recordings louder you can barely understand them.

Im not sure how you can help but if you have any suggestions that would be awesome! Thanks a bunch

I have a 2 man band (drums, guitar, rap)> I have successfully recorded around 6 songs with this band so I am not completely stupid(just mostly). We record each track separately.

I have one amp (marshall MG). I dont know how to record with it so I just plug the guitar directly into the interface. I use a single condenser mic to record drums(It sounds normal), and use the same condenser for vocals. Thats all I have; a condenser mic, small amp, and an Alpha Interface

Every song I made so far was with the Presonus AudioBox and I was very pleased with its results. Now I downgraded to the Alpha because my friend wont let me borrow the AudioBox anymore. When I researched the Alpha interface online it didnt look any worse than the AudioBox, but now my recordings are A LOT softer in volume. And when I try to make the recordings louder you can barely understand them.

Im not sure how you can help but if you have any suggestions that would be awesome! Thanks a bunch

Your not stupid man. And I would never infer that. Just decide what it is you want to accomplish. My best advice at this point would be to learn how to work with the gear you have now, figuring out your gear and how it does or doesn't limit you. Search Youtube, Google, Forums, etc. for any and all info possible. Ask direct questions about specific products or issues.

Realize that great recordings are not made with crappy gear by inexperienced people. Though experienced ones can make decent recordings when using crappy gear to its full potential. Educating yourself is the best purchase. Help is always available here if you get stumped.

Welcome to the learning curve that never ends! Not for me anyway.

Jimmy

The Alpha doesn't have phantom power and your condenser mic is gonna want some of that magic stuff, so in your case, getting an external preamp such as the M-Audio DMP-3 and running it into the line inputs on the Alpha should get you all fixed up.

Ah.....oops. Very true ^. I didn't even think about that. I dun learned me somethin!

In that case a preamp with 48v would help. Or get an interface with phantom power and sell the Alpha.:D

If you are already familiar with the Audiobox just get one of those. I recently got one and really like it.

Back