levels and recording outputs

laney69

Hi i'm new to recording and mixing my bands work.
Alrite i have downloaded cakewalk, cooledit, sondtrek jammer, fruity loops and record now. I play punk music which recording program would best suite this?
2nd question can i plug an external mixer or pa system into a computer and record on that? If so how where and wat do i do?
Wat levels do u need to make the distorsion sound nice and clear and crunchy?
Sorry im sure u get asked crap like this all the time.
thanx alot laney.

Welcome to the board laney69.

I will start out by saying that if you want to be taken seriously, you might try some good spelling and punctuation. Just an idea...;) While I will reserve judgement for now, I have found that people looking for help and using the more "slangy" spelling and punctuation tend get misunderstood, and sometimes people respond like you are a dummy! I have seen though where people who write more proper tend to get less flack. Again, just an idea. :D

Cakewalk of Cooledit will probably do more for you than those other programs listed.

Yes, you can use your mixer to record with.

Since you didn't list what soundcard you have, and also which mixer you have, it is impossible to help you with how to use what you have because nobody would know WHAT you have to work with. Please provide a more detailed list of the gear you are using and I am sure we can help you get it all hooked up and going.

Again, welcome.

Ed

You use what is refered to as "gain structure" to set your levels throughout the signal chain.

Each devices input and output must be within certain limits going into the next device to get the best S/N ratio to the recorder.

You don't want the signal to be to quiet or distorted. Each device has set limits on the upper end, and on the low end you want the signal to be significantly above the noise floor of the device.

Back