Leveling spoken voice against piano?

amoretto

Good Evening Gentlefolk,

Normally when I record a rehearsal with voice and piano and the recording is a bit too soft I can usually amplify the recording and it's all well and good, but this time I recorded in a small room and there is no room for amplification (at most 6db) and the spoken voice between piano breaks would be barely audible for most choristers (this is non-professional recordings for singers to rehearse with).

Since I'll be recording in a small space for a while anyone have any idea of what I can do to balance a loud piano and soft speaking voice? The quality of the piano does not have to be good, so long as the pitches are heard. The spoken voice is most important.

Thanks for your help!

(btw - I'm using a zoom h4 recorder and mainly audacity, I also have cuebase and garageband)

Best,
Steve

What about sticking the Zoom on a stand, and talking right into it, while letting pick up piano as best as it can?

As above, or a dynamic mic on a stand for the vocals and use the h4's mics to pick up the piano. That way yoy can get each of the mics closer to the source gor separate tracks. It would give you more control. I'm assuming it's possible though, I'm not familiar with the h4.

I suppose a mic stand could help... I suppose the mic focal point is probably more the level of the piano. Though it was always ok in a larger space.

Any idea on if anything is possible on the existing recording?

Some basic mixing skills will really help. You have to use an EQ to make space for the vocals to be more audible, the piano and vocals are fighting for space in the frequency spectrum and EQ will definitely solve the problem. Compression will also help by keeping everything constant in volume and control dynamic range.

Also use a reverb on the piano, the reverb will push the piano back and bring the vocals upfront. All you need to solve that problem is some basic mixing skills.

Back