Korg D-16 vs. Fostex VF-16- Which would you buy?

Keith L

I think I've narrowed it down to these 2 machines (awright, I really want the new Yamaha AW4416 with the built-in cd burner, but it's three times as much!). Both the Korg and Fostex have 16 tracks, cd burning, and built-in effects. It seems Korg has Fostex beat on the effects stuff, but I really like the 5-gig harddrive in the Fostex (vs 2.something in the Korg). I know the Fostex is pretty new, but has anyone compared these 2 machines? Which of the 2 would you suggest? Or should I wait a year for the Yamaha to drop in price? Anyone???

Yo Keith:

I recently read that Korg was offering 100 dollar rebate on the 16 tracker.

I think the unit can record on at least six tracks at once and that's plenty for most folks unless you're doing special projects.

The Yamaha box, the new one, looks complicated. You might have a three year learning curve with that machine if it is anything like the Yamaha DX-7, which I have in my studio. It is a nice synth but took a long while to learn the ins/outs.

Check out the unit on the net. And, I'm sure the price will drop.

Do some homework before you buy; if possible, go to an outlet and see the box. I think too many people, like me, buy a box without ever seeing it or hearing it perform. Of course you can always send it back with most dealers but you will lose 15% for restocking most of the time.

Good luck, jump in and start recording. It's fun.

Green Hornet

The Korg looks pretty good to me. But I am just aphrehensive about fostex's sometimes surly service deparment. (I know first hand. I have a wiley fostex fd-8) Maybe korg is no better in that respect. Then it wouldn't matter.

But the D16 does 24bit, the vf16 does 16. On the otherhand the vf16 takes 3.5 hard disks which are inexpensive and easy to replace.

The d16 is small, insanely small, which is good for portability, the vf16 feels far more sturdy which is something new for a fostex product.

I don't know if the d16 has 16 separate faders either. Go to a store and play with them both.

-Jett Rocker

Back