Which kind of recording software?????

StarKing

I'm trying to figure out what kind of recording software to buy for my little home recording studio... i need to be able to record singing and make beats and use beats that are already made in my studio.. and i want to know what recording software is good to buy.... im going to need to be able to take the work i create to a professional studio possibly if i can't do it all here at home...

what kind of recording software should i get.

U think for 'beats' FL Studio and Abelton are the usual choices. You're going to need an audio interface, too.

I usually refrain from recommending Ableton since it is very expensive and a unique DAW. But for EDM, live performance and DJ type productions, I think there are none better (Bitwig maybe, but I don't know much about it).

Bitwig is somewhat less expensive than Ableton and it was created by people who use to work for Ableton. But if you do go Ableton or Bitwig, you need an interface and a good controller. But it can get you out of your room and into the clubs DJ'ing and performing live.

I use Maschine to make drum beats and sometimes patterned loops and if i find sounds I like I layer those aswell. Once the basic structure is set I pull it into Pro Tools and rewire Either Reason Or Logic to build the rest.

You get way more sounds and flexibility this way.

once everything is complete, the stems are then printed to Pro Tools and then the Recording and mixing process begins.

Cheers.

i tried abelton live years ago... i liked it... it is very expensive tho.. i think like $800.. and what ever recording software i use i want to be able to put it in protools to work with there if i buy protools or if i take it to another studio that uses protools(industry standard still i guess)
the recording software i get i hope to be easy to learn and use and user friendly and not too complicated... I'm a singer and I've made a few beats for my music in the past... but todays RnB and Pop and EDM and Soul and HipHop and whatever else i want my music to have that fresh sound and my vocals to as well and id like to be able to ad in effects as well

thank you for your advice... I've used abelton the free trial before and thought it was great... but yeah its very unique and expensive... i need an easy to learn recording software and something that i can take to a pro studio so they can transfer to protools and work with it there if i can't do it all at home...
i have an $99 M-Audio audio/midi interface that i use right now with garage band... is that a good interface to use with Bitwig or any other recording software ???
ill google Bitwig
and i have logic pro 9 as well but i haven't figured it out enough to get up and going in there...
I'm really needing to hurry up and get going though... i have some original work that i want to record and mix and master so i can get it out there to the masses... still don't know how to master yet or even where to start...

i have an audio/midi interface: M-audio $99 is that good enough
?

Not if you want to "Take stuff to Pro studios" no. You need IMHO to stick another '9' on that price.

RME would be my choice but maybe one of the mac dedicated AIs?

Dave.

If you have GarageBand so you already have recording software. And you have an interface. What's holding you back, exactly?

thank you.. ill have to look that stuff up.... I'm not experienced with home studio equipment and engineering.... but i do want to have my studio set up so that the only thing i would need is for my music to be mastered and or if i need more expertise then be able to transport my music to a more professional

Making Beats

You can do it with any DAW software but, some DAWs offer a few more items that’ll help you achieve what you’re After. If you don’t have the money to purchase 3rd party virtual instruments/don’t have hardware synths, and samplers, wanting to get your sounds from inside the software, some are better at this than others. FL Studio gives a ton of sounds, plus you can mix, and record into it. I’ve used it, not my thing, others have turned out great music with it. Cubase, Logic, and Digital Performer 9.5, along with Studio One Pro 3, all do a great job of giving you a good recording platform, and enough virtual instruments to do a lot of different types of music. Most of those also come with guitar amp simulators, and pretty much every plugin, and effect you need to make pro recordings. They all do midi well, and audio recording well. A cheaper DAW is Reaper, it’s a software is solid, cheaper around $60.00 USD, and can do midi, virtual instruments, and audio recording, just fine. Because of the cheaper price it doesn’t have much in the way of virtual instruments inside of it. It does work well with 3rd party software instruments, and plug ins. Pro tools is used in most pro studios, it’s more expensive, doesn’t have a ton of virtual instruments, it does have some of the best editing, and shortcut features out there. One of them is not going to blow the others away in sound quality or anything like that. Find one you can afford, that gives you what you want( research). Then learn everything you can about it ( especially the under the hood power, and shortcuts). If I could only pick out 2 it would be Digital Performer 9.5, and Studio One Pro 3. Some good interfaces, Behringer UMC204HD, Focusrite Scarlett 212. For just starting out that’s what I’d get. I’d have no problem recording vocals into either one and taking to a pro studio. Remember these interfaces are way better than what the pros where using 15 yrs ago.

Last edited:
I'll also add that Reason is a great software for making beats, it has a ton of instruments in it. It is used by many producers, plus you can place any audio into it and edit the audio, add effects, etc. If I was going to be making beats I'd look at Reason. with a decent audio interface, a good mic, and a good controller, or controllers. I kind of like the Nektor Panorama controllers with pads.

NB: The Samplitude offer of £1,000 worth of software for £149.99 runs until tomorrow (28th Jan.) - a superb package for a pocket money price. :thumbs up:

My setup cost me under £90 for a PC from a charity shop. The Digital Audio Workstation is the free Audacity. The mic is a tie-clip one I was given a stage mic on freecycle but don't need it.

I didn't spend anything on the virtual instruments and fx. Go to vst4free.

Last edited:
My setup cost me under £90 for a PC from a charity shop. The Digital Audio Workstation is the free Audacity. The mic is a tie-clip one I was given a stage mic on freecycle but don't need it.

Spendthrift! I bought a charity shop PC for a tenner! Monitor for £13 and I used Samplitude Pro X Silver free. MUCH better for general recording work than Audacity (good tho that is as an editor for nowt)

Dave.

Back