Karaoke guy looking to mix it up

zulu400

Hi All,

Just dabbling into some audio recording and mixing. I like to do some karaoke for fun.

I want to start with the basics.

Need some instrument to input external music tracks (say from online resource like internet) and record vocals from microphone input and mix the tracks into a recording.
Like creating a cover for a popular song etc.

Any pointers on how to get this going ?
Recommendations for specific models will be very very appreciated. Is audacity enough to then edit the recording ?

I know I need to buy a good quality microphone and a noise filter and some cables.

Thanks to everyone responding in advance.

Wow! Well - welcome to the wonderful world of recording. What you are doing is NOT karaoke, it's adding vocals to a backing track which isn't to really much different to normal recording studio stuff, with the exception that you don't have to produce the individual recordings of each instrument.

You need a little more kit to produce something similar to what you hear on stage and on recordings. Mic wise - I'd suggest NOT spending huge sums at this moment till you know you can pick ups the skills quickly - most can, some can't.

A simple interface - look at focus rite Scarlett 2i2, Mackie onyx 2x2, Steinberg ur22 - as entry level but decent enough units. They connect with USB to your computer.

Mic wise - budget mics under 100 - they will all happily connect to these, and an XLR cable the right length. Tons to choose from. Most fine.

Headphones - essential so your singer doesn't get mixed in with the noise from your monitor loudspeakers, and of course you need two if you are NOT the singer.

Monitor loudspeakers that really let you hear what it sounds like.

Software - you can use Audacity - but you will be better with a cut down entry level decent piece of software that if you get on with it, you can expand. Cubase elements is a good choice, comes with all sorts of useful processing plugins - reverbs, delays, decent eq, and plenty of other processing gizmos - plus the ability to add extra instruments and other sounds. A midi capable keyboard is essential for this kind of thing.

You mentioned noise shield - I think you mean a shield to reduce explosive breath sounds - a popper stopper or equivalent? Ebay has some dirt cheap ones.

The room will be the decider on vocal recording. A reflective boxy small space sounds, well, boxy and reflective. You can add treatment to the room, but I recommend reading lots of back issues of the magazine sound on sound, who do an article each month on rescuing poor studios.

Buying a huge pile of bits guarantees nothing - much revolves around your ears. Making a vocal sit in a backing track mix is not that easy. You may need to eq the track to create a 'hole' in the backing the track sits in. Many backing tracks, supplied as mp3s are designed for stage use - and the mix may not sound good as a recording. You can buy midi tracks instead of mp3s, but then you need the instruments sounds to make the midi file sound good - so mp3s might be best. When you buy them online, listen to the demos, as all are not equal whatsoever. Some are actually truly dire.

Feel free to ask specific questions - but what you are doing is very simple to somebody who has done it for years and really confusing to newcomers.

Wow! Well - welcome to the wonderful world of recording. What you are doing is NOT karaoke, it's adding vocals to a backing track which isn't to really much different to normal recording studio stuff, with the exception that you don't have to produce the individual recordings of each instrument.

You need a little more kit to produce something similar to what you hear on stage and on recordings. Mic wise - I'd suggest NOT spending huge sums at this moment till you know you can pick ups the skills quickly - most can, some can't.

A simple interface - look at focus rite Scarlett 2i2, Mackie onyx 2x2, Steinberg ur22 - as entry level but decent enough units. They connect with USB to your computer.

Mic wise - budget mics under 100 - they will all happily connect to these, and an XLR cable the right length. Tons to choose from. Most fine.

Headphones - essential so your singer doesn't get mixed in with the noise from your monitor loudspeakers, and of course you need two if you are NOT the singer.

Monitor loudspeakers that really let you hear what it sounds like.

Software - you can use Audacity - but you will be better with a cut down entry level decent piece of software that if you get on with it, you can expand. Cubase elements is a good choice, comes with all sorts of useful processing plugins - reverbs, delays, decent eq, and plenty of other processing gizmos - plus the ability to add extra instruments and other sounds. A midi capable keyboard is essential for this kind of thing.

You mentioned noise shield - I think you mean a shield to reduce explosive breath sounds - a popper stopper or equivalent? Ebay has some dirt cheap ones.

The room will be the decider on vocal recording. A reflective boxy small space sounds, well, boxy and reflective. You can add treatment to the room, but I recommend reading lots of back issues of the magazine sound on sound, who do an article each month on rescuing poor studios.

Buying a huge pile of bits guarantees nothing - much revolves around your ears. Making a vocal sit in a backing track mix is not that easy. You may need to eq the track to create a 'hole' in the backing the track sits in. Many backing tracks, supplied as mp3s are designed for stage use - and the mix may not sound good as a recording. You can buy midi tracks instead of mp3s, but then you need the instruments sounds to make the midi file sound good - so mp3s might be best. When you buy them online, listen to the demos, as all are not equal whatsoever. Some are actually truly dire.

Feel free to ask specific questions - but what you are doing is very simple to somebody who has done it for years and really confusing to newcomers.

Hi Rob,
Appreciate your quick response, yes, its not karaoke. I do that a lot, I am looking to do something different...
I will read through the bunch of info you provided and post any questions if I have, I wanted to quickly thank you for your help in pointing me in the right direction.

Back