Kaoss Pad 3+ live recording

kittster

Hi all!
Long time reader, first time poster.

I have a Korg Kaoss Pad 3+ which I am attempting to live record onto my laptop.
There's also a microKORG which I play through the Kaoss pad and put effects over.
I simply wanna record the final effect of the Kaoss pad onto my computer.
A Behringer UCA222 connects the pad to my laptop and I am trying to record into Audacity.

Unfortunately there's a hiss underneath the synths / effects when I play back a recorded sound.
How can I get the clearest recording possible?

Sorry if something similar has been brought up before.
TY!!!

Hi there Kittser and welcome...

What WILL be brought up before long is adverse comment re the UCA202!

Now, I am NO fan of Behringer for other reasons but, the 202 is actually very suited to the task you mention and I am sure some settings in the computer will give you clean recordings and playback.

You need to get into the Sounds Devices menu (I am assuming Win 7 here) and first ensure the 202 is set as Default Recording and device. Next look at Levels. The slider will I am sure be set at 100% for recording. You need to pull this back, a lot! Try 5% to start with. Essentially you need to set the level such that the absolute loudest sound you can get from the KPad give about -6dB in the Audacity meters.

Once you have a proper recording level you can alter the playback slider but you might find this is not nearly so critical.

Yes, there are far better interfaces than the Berry (Behringer themselves make some!). For around 3X the money the Alesis iO2 is pretty good and vastly more flexible, has input and output controls! But for 20 quid over here the little UCA does a good job,

Lastly, Audacity is an excellent program but not THE best software for home recording. Do check out Reaper.

Dave.

You are the bomb Dave.
Adjusting the levels worked wonders. Sounds like the most obvious choice in hindsight.
What kind of program would be best to piece together the sound recordings?
I currently have Fruityloops but open to whatever works best.

Cheers again!
Jeff.

You are the bomb Dave.
Adjusting the levels worked wonders. Sounds like the most obvious choice in hindsight.
What kind of program would be best to piece together the sound recordings?
I currently have Fruityloops but open to whatever works best.

Cheers again!
Jeff.

Glad you are sorted Jeff. Recording software (called a "DAW") is pretty personal. Peeps find what is comfortable, (or as comfortable as they ever get!).

Almost all the Big Names have a 30day demo, some even a free very cut down version. Of the latter there is Samplitude ProX Silver, Studio One, Mixtrack, Traktion (?) .

DAWs spit into two main groups. Samplitude, Cubase, Sonar et al are "linear mixer/tape recorder" simulacra whereas Fruity loops and Magix Music Maker are what I call of the "cut and shunt" variety. Ableton Live has also just come to mind. .....Of course you can cut/paste/slide audio files into almost any DAW.

If you decide to upgrade your AI most give you a very decent free DAW version. Steinberg for example include Cubase A1, suit you sir for a looong time!

So, download as many demos as you can and try them out. Since most give you a month's grace you should be sorted for free software until Winter 2016!

Dave.

Back