Just starting Can I use S/Pdif output of Saffire Pro 10/10 to expand inputs?

jimnto

I had a firewire recording setup and I didn't make much use of it. I didn't learn much and it sat on the shelf.

But I am rebooting myself and I am going to buy a 2 channel Audio Interface but I was wondering if I could make use of my old interface to expand my inputs.

Namely - Can I plug a couple of inputs into the Saffire-Pro 10/10 (My old interface) and then take the S/Pdif outputs into my new interface - just in case I ever want to recird a couple extra live inputs?

Or - Should I simply throw my Firewire Saffire Pro 10/10 interface away in the garbage?

Thanks
Jim Nielsen
Toronto
Also - is there a digital recirding group I should join in toronto?

I had a firewire recording setup and I didn't make much use of it. I didn't learn much and it sat on the shelf.

But I am rebooting myself and I am going to buy a 2 channel Audio Interface but I was wondering if I could make use of my old interface to expand my inputs.

Namely - Can I plug a couple of inputs into the Saffire-Pro 10/10 (My old interface) and then take the S/Pdif outputs into my new interface - just in case I ever want to recird a couple extra live inputs?

Or - Should I simply throw my Firewire Saffire Pro 10/10 interface away in the garbage?

Thanks
Jim Nielsen
Toronto
Also - is there a digital recirding group I should join in toronto?

It is almost certain that the AI can be configured as a 'stand alone' analogue to S/PDIF converter but you would need a FW equipped PC /mac to DO said configerratin!

Other than that caveat, er? "Two channel AI"? Not many with S/PDIF these days. I would strongly suggest the Native Instruments KA6, t2 mic/line/git ins + 2 more balanced line ins + MIDI + the digital I/O you require. You could probably utilize the line OUTS of the Saffy and get 6 channels cooking!

I hope you were joking about 'in the bin'? We must dispose of electronica responsibly! We have WEEE I bet Canada have similar?

Dave.

Back