Just starting!!. Any advice?

JuanScil

So, i want to reord my songs on my own and in my bedroom, i'd like the best quality i can achive for a decent price. Any advise on how to start?, programs or equipment?, thank you!:thumbs up:

My suggestion would be to start reading as there are literally hundreds of different posts and ideas on this forum that will steer you in the right direction. Because no two people take the same path I would say read first, ask later.

Read this thread and this one, then come back with some definitive questions.
Many (..many :>) years ago totally green I was 'juggling between Cubase'? or Cakewalk'?
Someone offered "Hmm.. Among other things, 'Cake seems to have better documentation."
Not knowing even the questions yet, let alone the answers :>), wen't that way. :)

Or...You could go HERE and spend a few hours watching the videos in the search results and walk away far more informed than you are at this juncture...The very first one is great but it's a few years old and there are even more better inexpensive options today...A damned trained monkey can record today... It really is getting VERY easy...the problem is being able to provide audio content that some one might want to listen to...That's the kicker dang it!

maxresdefault.jpg

Or...You could go HERE ...A damned trained monkey can record today...
Unless it’s a monkey sitting st that desk the monitors are too low.

But, yeah, I’d also suggest www.therecordingrevolution.com. A lot of what he records and mixes is either CC or very much in a pop vein, but I like that he stresses how to do a good job without spending a fortune. And, of course, he’s hawking courses but folks seem happy with those too. (I’m not a paying customer.)

Besides good content you have to learn how to hear the way mix engineers do and understand how to choose the right tool in the DAW to correct or change what you are hearing into what you want. That takes time, and getting input from others (something else stressed on that site) is very important, and sites like this can help there.

Honestly, the difference between a professional-quality home studio and you in your bedroom with headphones only is not as a large as you think. I have no doubt a lot of the songs on this forum or others are produced using minimal costs.

Honestly, the difference between a professional-quality home studio and you in your bedroom with headphones only is not as a large as you think. I have no doubt a lot of the songs on this forum or others are produced using minimal costs.

All true...

The nuances of recording and mixing knowledge surely make a difference. When you listen to those old recordings of the 50's and 60's where they were working with analog tape and physical audio treatment tools. Think Beatles and George Martin, Phil Spector and his Wall of Sound, Barry Gordy and Mowtown. Pink Floyd and Alan Parsons. Truly with a cheap computer, Reaper and the free plugins available plus a $100 interface with the right "ears" and knowledge one could surpass the quality of the aforementioned masterpieces....

All true...

The nuances of recording and mixing knowledge surely make a difference. When you listen to those old recordings of the 50's and 60's where they were working with analog tape and physical audio treatment tools. Think Beatles and George Martin, Phil Spector and his Wall of Sound, Barry Gordy and Mowtown. Pink Floyd and Alan Parsons. Truly with a cheap computer, Reaper and the free plugins available plus a $100 interface with the right "ears" and knowledge one could surpass the quality of the aforementioned masterpieces....

Oh yeah and a sm57 ...can't get nothing done without a good mic...;)

I agree with all of above. But at some point you have to dive in. You first need to decide how serious you are, which will help determine the cost of your gear. I started from scratch right after I retired in 2010. I did a bunch of research and decided to go with ProTools (7 at the time, I've since upgraded to 12) because it seemed to be the industry standard. It is not inexpensive, however, so you may find something cheaper that will fit your needs. I looked at my computer equipment and started with a Windows PC, but have since migrated to an Apple MacBook Pro. You will need an interface, I began with an MAudio and have now migrated to a Focusrite Scarlett 2i/4 (the MAudio quit working after a PT upgrade). You will need a couple of microphones (+ stands & cables). I bought a set of very reasonably priced MXL mics that I am very happy with despite the low cost. There are so many choices that I suggest you start with something like the MXLs and then upgrade if/when you feel it's necessary. You will need a good set of headphones and a set of monitors. I currently use Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones and MAudio Studiophile BX5 monitors.

This is what I did, and I'm not saying it will work for you or anyone else, but since you asked... As a point of reference, I write/record Americana music. If you want to hear a couple of songs go to soundclick.com/dalejtweden

Good luck

Download Audacity. You can it Google it easily. That's a Digital Audio Workstation that can run plugins for all any effect you can think of. There's no MIDI editor yet, but I use Record Producer Deluxe and Anvil Studio for that. Loads of them can be found at vst4free.

I use a MIDI electric guitar and a MIDI Rickenbacker bass. The guitar goes through a software Marshall amp. The bass gets a software speaker made from my own hardware amp. Only a semi-pro producer I know could tell I use MIDI, and that was only on the drum track.

Your recording can be as simple as one track or loads. Start simple and work up to whatever you want.

The help forums on the Audacity site are highly helpful.

Home Recording for Musicians for Dummies is a worthwhile buy. I got mine on eBay.

Last edited:
Back