Just a question about Compression Ratio.

There you go. You learn something new every day, sometimes through trial and error.:)

I think the only thing you might have to adjust if you bring all your volumes up or down is the amount of send to pre-fader effects like reverb, for example. What I mean is, you're turning everything down, but the amount of reverb is the same, so it will actually end up giving you more reverb than you want since the dry levels went down but the reverb level stayed the same.
The proportions of things going to the verb will remain the same. If you wanted those proportions to change when the faders did, you'd have used a post-fader send. As long as the fader for the reverb track comes down with all the others, there shouldn't be any difference at all.

Post-fader sends WILL get fucked up, though. A reverb or delay will basically be turned down twice (at input and output), so will not sit where it was in relation to the mix. It'll also technically have a bit worse S/N, but in floating point land it's not enough to mention (so I did! ;) ). Any non-linear processing on one of these post-fader sends (parallel compression, saturation of a tape delay or "analog" reverb) will also be affected and act quite differently.

Also, you'd want to be careful that you're turning down only top-level tracks. If you're using a folder for a bus (with default of master/parent send on), and turn down the folder fader AND those of the individual tracks... If there's no FX on the folder, it doesn't really matter if you turn it or it's children down, but with FX it is exactly a post-fader send and everything I said above applies.

Can always count on you to complicate the fuck out of the simplest statement.
The proportions of things going to the verb will remain the same. If you wanted those proportions to change when the faders did, you'd have used a post-fader send. As long as the fader for the reverb track comes down with all the others, there shouldn't be any difference at all.
I was talking about turning down a track's fader without turning down the fader for the reverb track. I'm pretty sure even Phil understood that.

Post-fader sends WILL get fucked up, though. A reverb or delay will basically be turned down twice (at input and output), so will not sit where it was in relation to the mix. It'll also technically have a bit worse S/N, but in floating point land it's not enough to mention (so I did! ). Any non-linear processing on one of these post-fader sends (parallel compression, saturation of a tape delay or "analog" reverb) will also be affected and act quite differently.

Also, you'd want to be careful that you're turning down only top-level tracks. If you're using a folder for a bus (with default of master/parent send on), and turn down the folder fader AND those of the individual tracks... If there's no FX on the folder, it doesn't really matter if you turn it or it's children down, but with FX it is exactly a post-fader send and everything I said above applies.
Jesus H. Fucking Christ.

"Just because you don't understand it don't mean it don't make no sense
And just because you don't like it don't mean it ain't no good"

I thought we were talking about turning down all the faders. Do you want to know what happens when you turn down all the faders? I told you.

You may want it to be simple, but it's just fucking not. If you simply CTL-A on the mix panel and then move a fader, what happens completely depends on what's going where when. You must understand those relationships in order to know which faders to move and which to leave alone.

It's really much easier to just turn down the master.

Last edited:
Back