just me no band...writing/recording

dolecekq

I'm not in a band and it is just me and my guitar and I love writing music but it is hard with no drummer. right now I use ezdrummer to jam but when im jamming there are no fills or rolls and alterations in the drum grooves unless I stop playing and change it manually with the mouse which totally kills the vibe....any suggestions or ideas how i can do something different, no song is just one kind of drum beat and programming drums inst much fun either. this is just me writing and recording in my bedroom but there just has to be a better way, or at least i'm hoping so.

When I start out, I first find the groove I am looking for. EZ basic doesn't have many grooves, but enough. Once you have an idea, drag the MIDI loops into your track and get a good idea of your song, verse, roll, chorus type structure, loop it, jam.

You can always get the MIDI pack, it has a lot more grooves, and I think they have a jam pack. It cost, but would probably be worth it to you.

Here's an off the wall suggestion... Look for a cheap/SH "Portasound" keyboard. Roland or Korg would be nice but some years ago I found an uncollected repair for a nifty, a Yamaha PSS-790.

This produces drum sounds but you can also tap a pad(footswitch?) and get a fill or "bridge". Ok the drum sounds are not brilliant but if you get a keyboard with MIDI you can record all the data and have it trigger something better.

Also look at BFD Eco. Prettty good for the money. LOTS of grooves!

Dave.

Upgrade to EZ Drummer 2, it has a very intuitive 'songbuilder' structure, just drag and drop sections to build a song, there are little fills built-into the loops.

Befriend a drummer? Its far more creative in a jam situation than any machine will ever hope to be. More fun too.

Yeah, right, unless the drummer's unreliable--our drummer is really good, but he'll disappear for six months at a stretch. I've gotten good at drum programming because of him. I work out songs on acoustic guitar and have never lost a vibe or idea because of a monotonous pattern--try setting up some basic patterns, and work on them. I say to myself, "how are drums gonna fit with this tune?" And go from there. The posters above are right; upgrade and work on programming.

Back