Just bought a Shure Sm58 I want to plug it into a guitar amp

I am not sure what an idk is, but to plug a XLR mic into a guitar amp you need a Low Z to High Z adaptor to make the mic work correctly, like this one LINK

Alan.

Hehe...It means "I don't know".

Hi Allan, welcome to HR!

It will work with your straight cable, but it will work better with the impedance adapter.
I'd pick up Alan's recommendation along with a male to female XLR cable of whatever length you need.

Microphone Impedance Matching Transformer with XLR to 6.35mm Mono Plug | maplin

^ Or similar at your 10-20. The above 'unbalances' the mic signal and give a useful 'free' 19dB'sh boost to the mic's output.
We had a couple of those traffs feeding into the mic jacks of a Teac A3440 OR machine and they worked well.

You will probably find similar on 'Zon but £19 is pretty cheap for audio transformers so Caveat Emptor!

BTW. Using a guitar amp as a mic PA system will give you horrendous acoustic feedback, the setup might not be AS useful as you are hoping!

Dave.

Just to mention...I have seen a few guitar amps that have actual mic inputs (albeit on quarter inch jack). If Allan has one of those rare beasts then the simple adapter cable would do.

Just to mention...I have seen a few guitar amps that have actual mic inputs (albeit on quarter inch jack). If Allan has one of those rare beasts then the simple adapter cable would do.

Ah! Now! When I was in a 'group' we eventually got a Carlsbro Twin that had 4 jack inputs. Two guitar and 2 mics went through that! Probably sounded horrendous but we were 17/18 and 'as pigs'!

Dave.

Lol! I remember centuries ago as a teenager my high school used to get bands in for special dances. Invariably the only thing in the PA were the vocals with guitars and/or keyboards into their own amps and drums fending for themselves. Monitor wedges were unheard of.

Know what? My memories are of bands with a better, more natural sound than all the heavily mixed things today!

Well, aside from Pink Floyd I mean!

Lol! I remember centuries ago as a teenager my high school used to get bands in for special dances. Invariably the only thing in the PA were the vocals with guitars and/or keyboards into their own amps and drums fending for themselves. Monitor wedges were unheard of.

Know what? My memories are of bands with a better, more natural sound than all the heavily mixed things today!

Yep, but most of the time you couldn't hear the vocals well. We used a Bogen PA amp that must have come from a store PA system, and our first PA cabinets were a pair of mismatched Fender cabs - one had been through a fire burning off the original grillcloth and tolex , spraypainted black with black grillcloth, and they both had speakers from Lafayette Electronics (you could get a 15" or 12" for $30 back then).

Yep . . if someone is thinking about sticking a mike into a guitar amp, then I'm thinking lo-tech lo fi and make do with what they've got.

Back