Just a bit intimidated...

I'm going to come at this from a slightly different direction.

Most DAWs will do what you need--some have a greater emphasis on MIDI than others and so on but you could probably use most of them.

As others have said, Reaper is certainly a bargain in terms of price vs. features. However, none will be totally "beginner friendly". Whatever you choose, there's going to be a bunch of tutorial-watching and a learning curve. What I would suggest therefore is that you download the free trials of any DAW on your short list and just see how they feel to you. None will be easy--but you'll likely find that you feel more at home with some than with others. Once you get that feeling, that's probably the DAW to choose.

As for recording on a digital recorder and transferring into a desktop for mixing, that's actually a common way for professionals to work. I don't know your specific recorder but chances are it will work fine.

Have fun!

Thanks Bobbsy,
I've bought a Tascam DP-008EX. Your idea of checking the short list of DAW's with a free trial is a very good idea. Seems really practical.
John

Reaper (Cockos) has a pretty supportive user group that makes up their forum - so as well as it simply being more featured than mixcraft I'd argue that support is much better from Cockos.

Thanks Dave Holmes,
I did notice that Reaper user group. I bet there are tons of tutorials on their site. :thumbs up:

Thanks Dave Holmes,
I did notice that Reaper user group. I bet there are tons of tutorials on their site. :thumbs up:

One thing to watch for is that Reaper is so customizable that 5 people will have 10 different ways to accomplish the same thing. And many of the internet tutorials will be posted by folks who are using different "skins" than the default so for me, the initial tutorials only added to my confusion when the tutorial screens didn't look very much like what I was working with. Kenny Goia makes great tutorials though so if you persevere Reaper will work.
BTW- you now have a new hobby. Learning a DAW.

Ultimately I was able to accomplish: recording vocal and guitar thru a small mixer into my Tascam DR-40.
I'd take the tracks on an SD card to the computer where I could work with them in Reaper.
I could do multi-tracks by using the DR-40 to play the previously recorded and processed track and simultaneously record another track at the same time (separate overdub). Built up multiple tracks that could then be processed in Reaper.

Reaper is powerful and flexible but I found the website resembled a software club with a DAW project and Reaper is just the foundation upon which all the users add layers and layers of other favorite stuff. They can be helpful at times but the learning curve of the language is very steep.

I explored MIDI drums but quit due to exhaustion where my interest died before I accomplished much.

If you can find someone local using Reaper who is also patient at explaining things - that would be the optimum way to go.

You have to begin somewhere and may as well assume that whatever you do won't be optimum when you know more. But getting started is much better than dithering about whether you're beginning correctly or not.

EDIT-(My adventure into recording was to make a CD for my 80+ year old mother for Mother's Day last year. I'm not a pro musician or singer. The project worked out surprisingly well.)

The wav files (16bit 44.1kHz mono and stereo) can still be exported or imported via USB. If you downloaded the same manual I grabbed it's page 80 or in the index under "Exporting Tracks".

John, Are you planning on multi-tracking (more than two tracks) the band or simply setting out a couple of mics for recording and ending up with a total of just two tracks?

Hi Mark
Sorry for the delay, I missed your helpful comment about "exporting tracks" yesterday. My hope is to build tunes of mine on the Tascam recording one track at a time... rhythm guitar, lead & fills, vocal, and vocal harmonies, etc... and export each track to desktop DAW so I can add drums & percussion via software, along with effects to guitars & vocals (delay, reverb, compression, and eq tweaking of each track). And then finally mix those tracks together in the DAW into a cohesive "whole" tune.
I'm still not sure if I'll record the guitars with just their basic tone & add effects in the DAW, or record them with effects (chorus, tremolo) and then export the "effected" guitar track to DAW. I'm thinking delay and verb might be best done in the DAW. I'll try it both ways I guess.
Thanks for the info in the manual! John

One thing to watch for is that Reaper is so customizable that 5 people will have 10 different ways to accomplish the same thing. And many of the internet tutorials will be posted by folks who are using different "skins" than the default so for me, the initial tutorials only added to my confusion when the tutorial screens didn't look very much like what I was working with. Kenny Goia makes great tutorials though so if you persevere Reaper will work.
BTW- you now have a new hobby. Learning a DAW.

Ultimately I was able to accomplish: recording vocal and guitar thru a small mixer into my Tascam DR-40.
I'd take the tracks on an SD card to the computer where I could work with them in Reaper.
I could do multi-tracks by using the DR-40 to play the previously recorded and processed track and simultaneously record another track at the same time (separate overdub). Built up multiple tracks that could then be processed in Reaper.

Reaper is powerful and flexible but I found the website resembled a software club with a DAW project and Reaper is just the foundation upon which all the users add layers and layers of other favorite stuff. They can be helpful at times but the learning curve of the language is very steep.

I explored MIDI drums but quit due to exhaustion where my interest died before I accomplished much.

If you can find someone local using Reaper who is also patient at explaining things - that would be the optimum way to go.

You have to begin somewhere and may as well assume that whatever you do won't be optimum when you know more. But getting started is much better than dithering about whether you're beginning correctly or not.

EDIT-(My adventure into recording was to make a CD for my 80+ year old mother for Mother's Day last year. I'm not a pro musician or singer. The project worked out surprisingly well.)

Thanks Ronbert,
Your story is both inspiring AND daunting! :) That's pretty much how I had planned to record myself, although I didn't plan on going thru a mixer 1st, and THEN into the Tascam. Why did you not just plug directly into your Tascam?

Thanks Ronbert,
Your story is both inspiring AND daunting! :) That's pretty much how I had planned to record myself, although I didn't plan on going thru a mixer 1st, and THEN into the Tascam. Why did you not just plug directly into your Tascam?

I suppose the simplest answer is that at the time I didn't fully understand what the Tascam could do for me.
Or I was trying what I thought was too many mics for it. Not real sure anymore.
The mixer is way easier to make level adjustments on for each take so I'd miss it if I tried to go without it.
It also has some effects in it which are also way easier to tinker with than the ones in the Tascam.

I captured 2 (of 14) songs that were good enough to keep without having to take it to the DAW for post-processing.
But the DAW is worthwhile in that volumes can be adjusted for the overall recording as well as tracks balanced against each other and recorded mistakes can sometimes be healed using copy-and-paste so the DAW is very, very helpful. It also will let you clip out the count-in leads and set ending fadeouts easily.

Another item that Reaper (and likely any DAW) can do is to subtract out repetitive room noise - like a refrigerator running in the next room. Or the air conditioner blower running. I've even used that feature to remove ground-loop hum from an audio lecture my wife wanted to listen to that had an annoying buzz to it. Tutorial for doing this in Reaper was real straightforward and was one of the earliest things I was able to do successfully (meaning without a lot of shrieking and foot stomping).

I'll PM you my YouTube vid so you can sort of see the setup.

EDIT- PM sent. (I think) This system may not allow me to transmit though so just stating that I think my message got sent.

Last edited:
Presonus studio one. Like you i am 63 years old and was certainly intimidated to have the learn the world of digital recording. I learned how to record and mix on analog boards and multitrack tape machines. Of course, the wiring for these two is quite a bit more complex than the recording process. After a little ( actually lots before i made the plunge) ,studio one has been everything i was looking for. The learning curve was fairly simple and because of the the drag and drop feature, its fun. Also non destructive, dont like what you did, simply undo . Gl

I finally decided to look and see what a DP-008EX actually is and I think that it may be all you really need for awhile.

It has all the accessible knobs that I got with my mixer and it appears to have the ability to mix multiple tracks which would imply controlling volumes of the tracks on the final product. (the 'mixdown')

It has many of the features that you might think you need a DAW to obtain. I suggest you set aside any DAW research and just work with the DP-008 for awhile.

BTW- your question here inspired me to resume tinkering with Reaper and I've had a couple of important breakthroughs. So- Thanks!

Sorry Ronbert, cannot agree.
The wee recorder is probably fine if you are a rock god stuck in hotel rooms all the time but, as I have been at some pains to point out, the OP needs to drive some decent monitors and have proper, hands on control to do decent mixes. That means an AI and a DAW.

Dave.

Sorry Ronbert, cannot agree.
The wee recorder is probably fine if you are a rock god stuck in hotel rooms all the time but, as I have been at some pains to point out, the OP needs to drive some decent monitors and have proper, hands on control to do decent mixes. That means an AI and a DAW.

Dave.

Well then. Let me suggest the OP start with INdecent mixes :-) Gotta start somewhere. And perhaps the shortcomings will become apparent.

I think decency is in the ear of listener. And I think it's better to get started than to analyze endlessly.

I couldn't imagine trying to do serious mixes on that. How would you run any compressors/reverb/etc...not to mention how much of a headache any editing will be. Interface and DAW is the go-to method for a reason.

I couldn't imagine trying to do serious mixes on that. How would you run any compressors/reverb/etc...not to mention how much of a headache any editing will be. Interface and DAW is the go-to method for a reason.

Hi Andrushkiwt
You certainly have a point. I think what Ronbert is concerned about is that I'll have one learning curve using the Tascam, and could be compounding my confusion by attempting the learning curve of DAW software at the same time.

I get that. His thought is that I become overwhelmed, and toss the whole idea of recording out. It makes sense to get recording with the Tascam squared away and see what it's capable of, because I'll need to master that in order to record tracks and get them into my desktop computer in any case. I think it's a valid point.

Once that is accomplished, I'll sample the "free trials" of DAW's that look promising and pick one. There is no doubt that working with the software is exponentially better than limiting myself to the Tascam only.
Thanks for the input! John

Hi Andrushkiwt
You certainly have a point. I think what Ronbert is concerned about is that I'll have one learning curve using the Tascam, and could be compounding my confusion by attempting the learning curve of DAW software at the same time.

I get that. His thought is that I become overwhelmed, and toss the whole idea of recording out. It makes sense to get recording with the Tascam squared away and see what it's capable of, because I'll need to master that in order to record tracks and get them into my desktop computer in any case. I think it's a valid point.

Once that is accomplished, I'll sample the "free trials" of DAW's that look promising and pick one. There is no doubt that working with the software is exponentially better than limiting myself to the Tascam only.
Thanks for the input! John

Recording into a DAW will get your songs onto a desktop computer. The DAW is on your computer - I'm not sure how "i'll need to master that in order to record tracks and get them into my desktop computer" wouldn't apply to a DAW. Anyhow, do what you think you need to do...but I don't see why you would need to "master" a device that you will ultimately want to move on from anyhow. There isn't much associated with working a small device like that that you will be able to carry over to a DAW. I don't think you will say "ah! i know how to do THIS on my new DAW because I did it on my small tascam". Someone can correct me if i'm wrong there, but I don't see much correlation.

To get the tracks into your desktop, you just need an audio interface. Mine was $99 and came with a stripped down version of Studio One. When I got the grasp of S1, and wanted to upgrade, I did so for an additional amount. I'm just saying, if you are going to eventually use the DAW, just go for it. I don't think you will find any benefit from learning smaller tasks on the device since many of those tasks are not relevant in a DAW.

again, someone can correct me if i'm wrong there.

Exactly. The DAW will do what the device does (get tracks recorded) and they'll already be in the computer...What's even better: The DAW will allow you to do it easier, in time, and (if you want) to a click track. Most are as easy as 1) create a track and set the tempo/time, 2) arm the track, 3) press record and play what you want (with click on or off).

---------- Update ----------

Then the fun starts! :)

To get the tracks into your desktop, you just need an audio interface.

The tracks from the DP-008EX can be transferred via USB (method I sometimes use with my 2488NEO) or directly off the memory using a card reader attached to the computer.

An audio interface is a good piece of gear to have and will prove invaluable for connecting monitors and as another means to get audio into the computer.

The tracks from the DP-008EX can be transferred via USB (method I sometimes use with my 2488NEO) or directly off the memory using a card reader attached to the computer.

ah ok. still, if you want to retrack something, you have to go through that process all over again. seems tedious and like an extra, unnecessary step. just IMO.

ah ok. still, if you want to retrack something, you have to go through that process all over again. seems tedious and like an extra, unnecessary step. just IMO.
A ways back in the thread.....
Unfortunately, I need the portability so I'm stuck with the digital recorder for tracking tunes first

And doesn't have laptop.

Ah, sorry, sometimes I get different threads confused. Forgot this one was tied down. Truly unfortunate.

I see. Well, laptops are portable..I know he doesn't have one. But that's a device that serves many purposes even outside of recording. I'd pick one up if possible. Sorry if that doesn't help.

Back