jacks

Stavencrows

Hi,

I understand that a balanced (TRS) and unbalanced 1/4" jack should be plugged into a +4dBu and -10dbV input/output and that the difference is professional/unprofessional equipment respectively. However what about a Stereo mini-jack(3.5mm)?

I've had my stuff hooked up for a while now and just realised I should really have read up on this rather than randomly choosing where to plug everything in.

The 3.5mm stereo mini-jack is used for input and output on many computer sound cards, where their small size and low cost make them attractive to manufacturers. No professional equipment that I am aware of uses this size connector.

If you must connect a 3.5mm mini-jack to pro or semi-pro equipment, "Y" cables are readily available with a 3.5mm plug on one end and two RCA pin plugs on the other end. These are often used to connect portable CD players to home stereo systems.

BTW balanced and unbalanced inputs may operate at +4dBu or -10dBV, or any other level chosen by the manufacturer. (Mackie equipment operates at 0dBu.) In general, pro equipment operates at higher levels, and also tends to use balanced I/O. But you can't tell by looking at a connector what signal level it operates at.

Don

well my sound card(SW1000XG) has two RCA pin plugs on output and a 3.5mm stereo mini-jack input it claims can be connected to a mixing desk. I've connected my TrakMaster up to that input but the TrakMaster has two output 1/4" jacks - 1 unbalanced and 1 balanced - and it says I can get over/underloading signals if I connect it to an input that does not match. It sounds like I should be using the unbalanced output as this card is semi-pro. Did that make sense?

Back