I've just bought AUDIOBOX USB and I want to record my digital piano (yamaha p95)

danvegan

Hello, friends.
How do you do?
I've recently bought AUDIOBOX USB. I've been willing to record the sound of my piano straight to my computer for a long time.
However, when I do try to record it, I keep hearing noises. Why is that?
I have a stereo cable. I connect it into the piano (one side), the other side into the Audiobox. Right?
I press recording and later on I can hear some noises. Why is that?
Is there any settings i should do?
I realized that the louder the volume (both my piano and audiobox), the more noises I'll hear.
I turned down the volume on my piano and turn up the volume on audiobox. Noises.
I do the other way around, noises.
It's a subtle noise. Still, I guess it shouldn't be happening, once I'm recording straight from the piano and this audiobox isn't a cheap device.
Can you guys help me out? I'd really appreciate.
Thank you!
P.S.: I use both Adobe Audition and PreSonus to do the recording.

How do I have a stereo recording? Do I have to connect two cables into my piano and into Audiobox even though the cable I'm using is already stereo? Thanks.

First, we assume you are using hte headphone (stereo) output of the Yammie, so yes, you need an adapter cable that will split the left & right signals to two separate plugs to go into the Audiobox. If the headphone jack is 1/4, then this one, if the headphone is 1/8" then this one.

"Noises" - what kind of noises? Clicks and pops, or hum and static?

I suspect you may just be clipping your input circuits byhaving the keyboard volume and Audiobox gain too high.
Since you are using a 'semi' amplified output, the Audiobox does not have line inputs, so keep the volume low on the keyboard and low on the input gain knobs when first adjusting things. Turn the keyboard up first to about 1/3 volume level, then turn up the gain on the Audiobox a little until your DAW meters show in the -18dB to -12dB range.

I, too have the audiobox usb and what mjb says is very correct. TheAB will clip very easily if you don't keep the input dials at 1/3 or less.
Are you using a DAW program or just straight to listen.to your music. I would suggest recording it might be better if you have the equipment. You don,t say.
Keep the yammie at low and gradually increase. till the clip lights begin to blink and then turn down the input knobs till its right.
Baz

Unless you particularly love the sound of your digital piano and want its sound on your recordings, you'd record the MIDI and use a decent piano sample library (assuming you have one and/or have the wherewithall to get one) to replace the actual sounds... and not be mucking around with audio ins/outs and levels.

Those Yammie e-pianos usually have a good sound, but Armistice is correct - you may want to record the MIDI and use a VSTi, but not sure Audition does MIDI recording?
With my Casio keyboard I can record both the audio and USB signal at the same time, if I choose, on different tracks.

Headphone outputs are often noisy (on anything!) mainly because the chips used are not very quiet. HP outs also often need loading to at least 100 Ohms to give low distortion.

OP is fortunate that both the keyboard and the AudioBox have MIDI DIN ports (many here will have read my rants against cheapass AI makers that don't give you MIDI!) so yes, a DIN cable will allow the playing of software sounds. I do not know however how good the AI is for latency but most can be made tolerable these days.

Dave.

Guys, yesterday I tested it, I connected the cable (p2 - stereo - I had a p10 adapter to connect it into the piano phone output/ and two mono p10 [which I connected into the audiobox, instrument and mic input, respectively]) and just by connecting to the piano, I could hear noises in Adobe Audition. Nothing was being played. Just the recording itself, on its own, was already noisy. It's not clipping or popping, it's just like an empty-room noise.
I disconnected the notebook out of electricity and left it on the battery only, nothing happened.
This guy is using the same piano I have (Yamaha p95) and he's using an M-Audio Fast Track Pro and he got EXCELLENT, AMAZING results.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piE5ZiEWcR4

I bought audiobox for approximately u$350,00. I'd really like to have good results.
Tonight I will upload the kind of noises I've been having here.
Do you guys have any other suggestions?
Thank you a lot!

First, sorry you spent so much money for the Audiobox and are having issues with it - they sell for about $100 here. When you say 'room noise', I take it to mean hiss/presence. Which tells me you've got your input gain maxed out - either on the Audiobox itself or in Windows - you'll need to go into your Windows audio devices and find the audio settings where it probably has the input device at 100% - crank it down to 5% and see what happens.

Back