Issues with echo and background noise

vandora91

I recently bought a Shure SM57 Dynamic Mic to record acoustic and vocals with. I'm currently using Audacity to record with, but plan on investing into something better soon. I'm having a lot of issues with my guitar echoing and can't seem to fix this. I've reduced the echo significantly by setting up in my bathroom with my computer in the other room, but am still having issues. Anyone have any ideas of how to fix this? Not sure how to change my mic settings... Thanks! :)

Echoing? As in the sound of your guitar is bouncing off the walls?

Last place to play would be the bathroom. Generally, unless you have a good room for sound (not something you find in most houses) you'd be trying to reduce the reflections of the walls, not increase them. So you play in the biggest, deadest room, filled with soft furnishings, curtains, couches and large slow moving quite people as possible.

Putting your computer in another room won't affect "echoing" as that comes from the room / instrument / mic.

That said, an SM57 on an acoustic shouldn't be picking up much "echoing" anyway. Can you post a clip? Perhaps you have a monitoring issue - you do have your recording system sound turned OFF when you're recording, don't you?

Plus, Audacity is a useful tool. It ain't a multitrack recording DAW. Try Reaper - free to evaluate, or see what other options you can find - but first we need to understand the "echoing"...

I'm guessing you have the sound you are recording coming out of the computer speakers - that's the echo you are hearing. What are you using for an audio interface?

I'm guessing you have the sound you are recording coming out of the computer speakers - that's the echo you are hearing. What are you using for an audio interface?

+1 ^ My bet too.
Also OP mentions background noise. Whatever interface he is using he will struggle with an SM57 and acoustic guitar, I can just about make that work with an A&H mixer into a 2496 card, arguable a better noise floor than most AIs?

But yes, we need to wait for a comeback on the AI question.

Dave.

Back