Irritating whistling noise in my acoustic guitar recording?

6 String Dream

Ive got a great take of an acoustic guitar track which im happy with. The only annoying thing is that when i play it back i can hear this whistling sound the whole way through. Ive tried noise and hiss reduction and messing about with the eq but i cant get rid of it. I recorded it with a rode nt1a, my guitar is a Taylor 110e. Can i get rid of this sound or do i have to do another recording?

Caveat - I don't think the suggested cure will work, depending upon the frequency of the whistle.

I've never even seen Cubase but the principle is simple.

You need to get the (parametric) EQ set up on the offending track. Usually a mid band. Set the Q value to as narrow a curve as you can. Set the gain to as high (boost) a value as you can. Your curve should now have a large narrow hump above the line.

Starting at the lowest frequency you can reach play the track with the EQ on and slowly sweep the frequency up. The track will sound pretty awful - that's the point - at some stage, that whistling is going to really jump out and hit you.

Stop.

You've identified the annoying frequency. Now reduce the gain at that frequency to cut as much of that frequency out as you think it needs. It's called a notch filter.

Better idea is to work out the cause of the whilstling, stop it, and re-record.

Sounds to me like the microphone may be the culprit.
Try recording something else. A soft source where you have to turn your preamp way up to get a good input level, then give a good listen ---you may hear that whistle again if so it's time to do something about that microphone.

:cool:

i'm sure it will. i could tell you exactly how to do it in REAPER, but you're using a lesser DAW. :p

DAW?

What is this DAW of which you speak...

I'm using a Yamaha AW4416 - and ya cain't get the bands that narrow - tends to drag everything else down with it... so probably you're right! :D

Let's hear it.
You can't really know what the sound is without hearing it.
Could be your hard drive, for all we know. :)

i'm sure it will. i could tell you exactly how to do it in REAPER, but you're using a lesser DAW. :p

open fx window for affected track, add reaEQ, select a relevand freq band, narrow bandwidth, boost way up, sweep back and forth until you find the nagging freq, lower until it drops out.

Freq%20Sweep.gif

When's the 3D release of yer new film EZ?

I still have the glasses from Shrek...

lol. that's another new free release from the reaper peeps. it allows you to capture screen movements and save them as an animated .gif. it literally took less than 5 minutes to download, install, figure out how to use, and create that thing. the program is called LICEcap. check it out.

Back