iRig/Amplitude Question/DAW Recommendations

jazzBox

I've done a little home recording years ago using a CakeWalk product called Guitar Tracks Pro, however it's been awhile since I've used it.

Since I have an iPhone, I was curious as to how the DAW community regards IK Multimedia products such as iRig/Amplitude (which has a small recording interface) or if you have any suggestions/recommendations regarding getting started again.

Thanks in advance.

Hey jazzBox.....welcome to the forum. Tell us more about what you want to record.........how you want to do it........and your overall project goals. The more detail you give us.....the better we can assist.

Thanks for your response Mickster.

I'd like to record demo's of song ideas which would include guitar/keys/drums/bass and since I am not a keyboard/bassist/drummer would probably need access to backing tracks to fill that need.

I think I recall being able to download/purchase drum/bass clips that I used in Guitar Tracks Pro.

Let me know if you need additional details.

Thanks again

jazzBox.......I think you might want to look into a more capable DAW. It could make your work easier......which is always more fun. Not to say iRig and your iPhone won't work.....it likely will. But....if you happen to have an average windows or mac PC/laptop already......much of the expense of starting up is already covered. Good AI's that would serve your needs are not very expensive and Reaper (as an example of a good DAW) is free to download. Do you have a budget in mind if you were to consider buying new equipment?

Have you tried GarageBand? You can probably do everything you want to in that. The new "drummers" are very good IMO.

I used an iRigHD for a while back when I was traveling. Worked fine for hotel room noodling and I even used it for a guitar part on a cover I was fooling around with. I'd consider getting a cheap bass guitar and learning how to do your own, though you can tap out the bass lines on your phone, as well in GB. (I'm actually going to have to give that a try I think.)

jazzBox.......I think you might want to look into a more capable DAW. It could make your work easier......which is always more fun. Not to say iRig and your iPhone won't work.....it likely will. But....if you happen to have an average windows or mac PC/laptop already......much of the expense of starting up is already covered. Good AI's that would serve your needs are not very expensive and Reaper (as an example of a good DAW) is free to download. Do you have a budget in mind if you were to consider buying new equipment?

Yes, I have a pretty average laptop (PC) that's probably on it's last legs, so I'll probably need to buy a new one soon.

As far as budget, looking to get by on the cheap. Was thinking maybe I need something like an SM-57 and some kind of pre-amp for starters?

Thanks again

JazzBox........you may not need to buy a new pc/laptop. What are the specs of the one you have? As for a pre-amp.......you can get a new audio interface for about the same cost as an sm57.......which is probably an excellent choice of mic for you at this point. All you would need then is a DAW......and Reaper is free to download and use.

Lenovo t420 Laptop
Processor: 2.8 GHZ
RAM: 8GM
System Type: 64 Bit.

I regret upgrading to Windows 10 from 7.

thanks

I'm currently using a Lenovo t410 with Win7 and 8GB ram 64 bit with Reaper as my Daw and a Zoom R16 that I use for an audio interface and control surface. The only thing I do when I use the DAW is to disable wifi and I'm able to run 20 tracks easily if they're loaded with effects........or many more tracks when less effects are used. As I mentioned previously.......an SM57 and an AI around $100 would likely be all you need and would not be outdated anytime soon. You might want to consider going in that direction. Just my 2 cents.

Back