iOS Recording (iPad/iPhone)

bassmanjojo

I'm a multifaceted musician/singer-songwriter with limited home recording knowledge. I've tried my hand at home recording in the past, but couldn't ever get my setup right between my DAW, mixer and audio interface on my PC.

Garageband on my iPad has renewed my interest and I've been playing around with several of the DAW/sound processing/instrumentation apps. The ipad is much easier to use and more intuitive for me, but I haven't been able to automate mixing during recordings, and its been difficult when using multiple audio tracks.

Does anyone have an iOS recording setup they think works best and can compete at all with the typical PC/Mac home recording solution? Or am I wasting my time and I should just spend a few weeks in my Cubase manual?

I, too, use my iOS with the iDock and love it. But GarageBand has its limitations. I use another app as aa multitrack studio and it works divinely. If you'd like, I can upload a pick of my setup. However, as far as the preamp on the iDock, you'd have to use a separate dedicated preamp to really get the most out of it. I also have my keyboard hooked up to it (both audio and MIDI simulatneously) and it is outputted to my main studio monitors.

The only thing it doesn't do so well is when it's the mastering process and also as you said, the automation. So I mainly use it to get some good ideas down (the auto instruments are awesome!) and then I export the entire mess to my computer bassed DAW.

A configuration pic would be awesome. I just recently got the apogee Mic. Will post a review once I've gotten a chance to use it.

My current difficulty/lack of understanding is how to simultaneously record multiple audio tracks on the iPad. I'd like to record vocal and acoustic or electric guitar at the same time, but haven't found a iOS specific audio interface that can handle multiple channels.

If you mostly record with MIDI you probably don't run into this issue, but if you've found a solution, I'm all ears there too. Thanks so much!

I think the iDock has stereo capablilty, so you should be able to do vocals and guitar simultaneously, but then you'd be limited to a single channel for guitar, unless you premix two guitar mics to a mono signal. But if you're just using one mic for the guitar, it seems like it should be do-able.

Garageband for iOS is a superb tool for quickly getting ideas down. I use it for writing songs and doing rough arrangements which I then bring to my band. It's a wonderful tool, but as a DAW, it's severely lacking. I use on my Ipad and Iphone. Very handy tool.

Back