Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16

Thread: Introduction to Multitrack Computer Interface Recording

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceballOne View Post
    I know that some of the interfaces have pre-amps, but how would one go about adding compression & eq to the signal? Do the interfaces have software on the PC where you can do this?
    Welcome to the site. To answer your question, yes!! Most interfaces will come with some "lite" form of a popular DAW program, like Cubase, Sonar or Ableton. Although the lite versions are limited in functionality, you can still do a lot with them and put out a decent mix. When looking around for an interface, be sure to see which programs are provided. And don't worry, if you like the interface but don't like the included software, you can always buy a program.

Processors and effects will be included in the DAW software. They are called plug-ins, which are small programs that run within a host program. They are usually assigned to one specific task like a compressor, reverb or EQ. There is a HUGE after-market for plugs, so if you don't like what is included with the software, you can always buy something else.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Hi Space' people don't usually run any effects going in when using an AI an PC. This is because even the cheapest interface has a massive dynamic range, way better than CD because you would run 24 bits instead of 16 and record at an unnaturally low level (for an old tape jockey!) of an average of -18dBFS*.

This means there is no need for compression or limiting to avoid overload or beat noise, any effects and treatments can be done at a later stage, always preserving the original, virgin take.

*dB "Full Scale" the way signals are measured in the digital realm.

Dave.

Thanks
    Thanks for the answers. Seems hard to believe that there wouldn't be issues with clipping or overload ruining an otherwise perfect take.

The other thing I'm considering is that I need a new mixer for my wife's karaoke setup. I was originally wanting something that would be good for live sound as well as multitrack recording. From what I've gathered though, that's really not necessary.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceballOne View Post
    Thanks for the answers. Seems hard to believe that there wouldn't be issues with clipping or overload ruining an otherwise perfect take.
    Yes, quite a possibility but "software" compression/limiting is not going to help! It is the pre amps that will clip long before the digital side is in danger (assuming you get the gain staging correct).

There are digital mixers* that have per channel comp/limiters but I guess at the end of the day there is no real substitute for a good guy on the faders!

*And annyloggy ones as well but they tend to be top end and expensive.

Dave.

Thread Information