Introduction to Multitrack Computer Interface Recording

Very helpful post. I am very new to the world of analog-to-digital recording and I found the information to be very easy to follow.

Now pan one track completely to the left, the other to the right. The tracks should be almost identical but just different enough to give you a rich wide sound that can not be achieved by using a single mono track.

I just realised why stereo delays sound so good. "Phased thickening" of the sound at below 0.07ms or so delay time. The stereo aspect! Doh!

Other than that, excellent article.

This is Jerry Portal.
Recently i have joined this forum. I am here just to say hello and welcome to all of you.

Great sticky. I have been looking for infomative articles on home recording interfaces.
You have the Tascam US-1800 listed as having 16 in / 16 out. Tascams site says 16 in / 4 out.

Great sticky. I have been looking for infomative articles on home recording interfaces.
You have the Tascam US-1800 listed as having 16 in / 16 out. Tascams site says 16 in / 4 out.

4 out analog - it records 16 tracks into the daw

This is correct, what happens at the Input is.. there is an electronic circuit called a Difference Amplifeier which will amplify the Difference between the two signals . Any noise / electrical interference coming from other equipment like lights ... would be found in phase on both of the signal wires , because the Difference Amp circuit only amplifies the difference between the signals on the two wires it thus filters out the Noise / Electrical interference because this is not out of phase on the two wires......

Make sense?View attachment 65657

I've used balanced lines for years, and I never knew exactly how they removed interference.
(I guess I thought it was magic).
What a great explanation!
Thanks for the great thread.

Great article! Thanks for sharing this and making it easy to understand. I know that as a newbie I have really no say in this but this should really be made a sticky for the likes of me:p Just 2 quick questions:

1) What are/what is the difference between "unbalanced" and "balanced" inputs and outputs?

2) Why do many interfaces have so many excess analogue and digital SPDIF outputs?

I fully agree, great article, answers a lot of questions for me too.
May I add my two cents worth on the questions. SPDIF (Sony Phillips Digital Interconnect Format) can be found on S/PDIF - Wikipedia and adequately explained there.
My understanding of 'Balanced/Unbalanced' is as stated by Arcadeko, " Balanced inputs use three wires (usually the XLR inputs are balanced) which reduces interference especially over long distances (like 20+ feet)....." apparently the 'balanced' bit is so called because the two wires carrying the signal are identical and the screen is used only for taking away unwanted interference. An unbalanced cable will commonly use a single coaxial core screened wire which uses the screen as the return path for the cicuit and, as the screen and the centre wire are not identical will not be balanced electrically. The impedance of the two will be different.
Having said this, I may be wrong, please enlighten me if this is not correct. Don't be fooled by the name, my name is Ron and I was once elected as union shop steward, everyone kept shouting "Elect Ron" and it stuck haha.

the two wires carrying the signal are identical and the screen is used only for taking away unwanted interference. An unbalanced cable will commonly use a single coaxial core screened wire which uses the screen as the return path for the cicuit and, as the screen and the centre wire are not identical will not be balanced electrically. The impedance of the two will be different.

Right - there is a diagram here https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...puter-interface-recording-323561/#post3653276

Thanks for the great info in this thread! I have yet another stupid "I don't have a clue about anything" question. If I get an interface with 8 outputs because I want to record full drums using 8 mics, where exactly do I plug those outputs into to get it into the computer software mixer? :confused:

Outputs from an interface are selectable line outs 'from' the recording software 'after' recording. If an interface has 8 inputs, they are sent to the computer via USB or Firewire cable. This confuses many. Say in interface has 16 ins and 4 outs, that means it will record 16 separate tracks at once, but only send out 4 separate signals for monitors or outboard gear. Make sense? :)

Outputs from an interface are selectable line outs 'from' the recording software 'after' recording. If an interface has 8 inputs, they are sent to the computer via USB or Firewire cable. This confuses many. Say in interface has 16 ins and 4 outs, that means it will record 16 separate tracks at once, but only send out 4 separate signals for monitors or outboard gear. Make sense? :)

Almost makes sense! lol If I have 4 outs, but can record 16 things at once, does that mean it goes to 16 separate tracks that can be mixed individually on the software mixing board, or does this somehow all go to 4 tracks on the mixer?

You can record 16 separate tracks into your DAW at once. Depending on your software, you can have an unlimited amount of tracks that can be mixed internally with the software mixer. The 4 outs are just outputs that can be selected within the software to get signal to say an outboard effects unit, monitor speakers or even a mixer. So yes, you are able to mix every recorded channel separately within the software.

Back