Introduction to Multitrack Computer Interface Recording

Thanks Jimmys69. I think I'm sold on that interface then. As I move along I'm sure I'll have more questions. Thanks.

Dood, the best thing that ever happened for me to start my studio. It will get you quite far man. :)

Most all of the audio tracks on my website were recorded with the 1800 or it's predecessor, the1641. Same unit really. In fact, the US1800 is in the main page photo at the top of my rack.

Dood, the best thing that ever happened for me to start my studio. It will get you quite far man. :)

Most all of the audio tracks on my website were recorded with the 1800 or it's predecessor, the1641. Same unit really. In fact, the US1800 is in the main page photo at the top of my rack.

That looks like a lava lamp, not a US1800 :rolleyes:

Other side man. The Lava was there to ease your mind. Seems it worked. :)

There are actually two Lava Lamps. Stoners dig them. lol

Hi , First post on the forum.
I'm running a Bheringer xynx x2442 mixer to the computer via usb that lets me record two channels only .
Could you suggest an audio interface to slip between the mixer and computer that would let me multitrack without having to buy more balanced mike inputs , the mixer has 8 with line out from all of these and it seems a waste of money duplicating what I already have . I just need something that will take the outputs from the mixer to the computer that will let me record a number of tracks at one time
running windows 7 and have firewire / usb 2
Any hints or tips greatly appreciated .

It is actually odd that there are not any inexpensive units that do line input only. You would think Behringer would be all over that. I ran into this a while back and found nothing cheap enough to warrant running a low end mixer through.

You are likely better off getting an audio interface for recording. A Tascam US1800 or something like it would sound better anyway IMO. Strange, a month ago they were going for $200. Now it is back up to $300. Must have gotten popular...

Thanks ALL, impressed by the prompt feedback .
Perhaps a note to Behringer to produce a " bolt on " to their mixers that would do the job .
Not life and death as is only a thought, should the need arise .mostly used for recording musical family
and some video post production .Will have a look at all suggestions and mull things over .
thanks for help , much appreciated .thought I must be missing something , there does however seem to be a bit of a hole to be filled in the market .

Hey guys,

I appreciate this post, as I don't often find things like this written in a way that even a moron like me can understand :) It answered a lot of questions, but I've still got several more ...

1. If I wanted to record 2 actual synths (not virtual instruments) at the same time on their own separate tracks, I assume then that I would need 4 analog ins and 4 digital outs, since these synths use two channels each for stereo output?

2. Assuming that the above is correct, what do I need in order to play 2 synths at the same time while singing, and have these all go on their own tracks? I'm guessing 2 analog ins + a mic input, and 6 digital outs? Not sure about the last part, as in... does an XLR input use 2 digital outs?

3. I saw one of these devices advertised as a 'six-channel audio interface' ... what exactly does that mean?

4. Assuming you have the right audio interface, do all DAWs support recording to multiple tracks at once, even the cheaper ones like Garage Band and the 'light' versions of some of the other heavy hitters? I know that some of them have a limited number of tracks, but if it advertises x number of tracks, does that implicitly mean you can record up to x number of tracks simultaneously, or is the number of simultaneous tracks supported by the DAW, different from the number of 'total' tracks?

1. What do you need the digital outs for ? You dont if you just want to record the stereo signal from each synth then mix the result on your DAW.

2. Semi correct. You dont need the digital outs. You do need the two pairs of ins for the synths and you do need an in for the vocal. You also need to boost the vocal signal between the mic and the audio interface if the interface does not have its own preamp.

3. A 6 channel audio interface can both handle 6 channels going in through it and 6 channels coming out through it. Eg. Read the blurb and look at the pics on this link Echo AudioFire4 Portable Interface at zZounds.
Dont assume the 6 channels will have uniform inputs or outputs.

4. Not sure about this. Check with each DAW either on youtube or in official forums.

For the scenario you have described above, which requires simultaneous recording of two synths and one vocal you require 5 inputs ( subtract 2 if you dont want stereo signals from the synths )

Does one of your synths have spdif out ?

1. What do you need the digital outs for ? You dont if you just want to record the stereo signal from each synth then mix the result on your DAW.

I should probably make myself a little more clear. I'm getting ready to set up a little home studio for the purpose of making videos to upload to Youtube. The idea is to record the video using an iPhone 5s, then sync the audio from the DAW later. I want to play keys and sing at the same time while recording, but have them go to seperate tracks, so I can touch up the vocals before syncing with video. I'm a decent keyboard player, but a sub-par singer. So I need all the help I can get :P It would also be nice to have the synth recorded as MIDI to its own track, so if I happen to screw up like one note and it sounds really bad, I can fix it in the daw without having to re-record the entire thing.

Does one of your synths have spdif out ?

Right now, I only have one synth... I'm just thinking of future expansion :) I'm definitely getting another synth, probably something in the Korg Triton series, cuz I love those boards. My current synth is a Yamaha Motif XF and it has an spdif port.

hey guys, i'm new here and am in the process of buying an interface.

"So if you want true multi-track recording without having to record each part individually you will need multiple outputs, and this isn’t always clearly stated on packaging or product descritptions. You can usually find it listed as digital I/O or Firewire-USB I/O. If you want multi track then you need a full-duplex interface, this means 8/8 or 16/16 which mean 8 in 8 out, or you can record 8 tracks simultaneously. If a device shows 8/2 it only gives you stereo out. Just because a device has a Firewire or USB connection DO NOT ASSUME it is full duplex!"

the tascam 1800 features 16 inputs and 4 outputs, basically what i want to know is if this is the same type of information as shown in the quote.

hey guys, i'm new here and am in the process of buying an interface.

"So if you want true multi-track recording without having to record each part individually you will need multiple outputs, and this isn’t always clearly stated on packaging or product descritptions. You can usually find it listed as digital I/O or Firewire-USB I/O. If you want multi track then you need a full-duplex interface, this means 8/8 or 16/16 which mean 8 in 8 out, or you can record 8 tracks simultaneously. If a device shows 8/2 it only gives you stereo out. Just because a device has a Firewire or USB connection DO NOT ASSUME it is full duplex!"

the tascam 1800 features 16 inputs and 4 outputs, basically what i want to know is if this is the same type of information as shown in the quote.

On the Tascam 1800, you can record up to 16 inputs simultaneously. Meaning, you can track 16 inputs at once. You can route four analog outputs. For most of us, 16 inputs are plenty in that, you could record a complete band, with drums having a set of mics, Bass, Guitar, Keyboards, Vocals. Let's says, 3 vocals, 2 Guitars, 1 Bass and 6 drums, that is 12 inputs. Each one getting its own track for further refinement in the mix. Unless you are professional level, that is a lot of inputs.

The outputs would be for various uses, but not critical in most home recording situations.

On the Tascam 1800, you can record up to 16 inputs simultaneously. Meaning, you can tack 16 inputs at once. You can route four analog outputs. For most of us, 16 inputs are plenty in that, you could record a complete band, with drums having a set of mics, Bass, Guitar, Keyboards, Vocals. Let's says, 3 vocals, 2 Guitars, 1 Bass and 6 drums, that is 12 inputs. Each one getting its own track for further refinement in the mix. Unless you are professional level, that is a lot of inputs.

The outputs would be for various uses, but not critical in most home recording situations.

thanks! i was under the impression that with 4 outputs, your 16 inputs would be condensed into 4 tracks. seems like the Tascam 1800 is perfect for me, just trying to get something that can handle a drumset

thanks! i was under the impression that with 4 outputs, your 16 inputs would be condensed into 4 tracks. seems like the Tascam 1800 is perfect for me, just trying to get something that can handle a drumset

Yep. I have much experience with the Tascam. You can actually record with 10 microphones right out of the box. Two of them would need XLR to 1/4" adapters (so no phantom power), but channels 9/10 do have preamps. In order to use the other 4 analog input tracks for microphones, you would need external preamps. For channels 15/16, you need a preamp or source with a digital out (Spdif).

I got by for quite a while with a few ART 2 channel preamps to enable use of the other tracks for recording with mics. I can explain further if you need. All audio samples on my Website currently, were recorded with either the US1800 or it's predecessor the 1641 (same thing really).

Back