Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Introduction to Multitrack Computer Interface Recording

dastrick is offline huh???
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Good job, arcadeko.

Sydney is offline Junior Member
    arcadeko,

Thanks for clarifying things for me, I really appreciate it.

Almost every interface will have the standard 1/4" instrument jack as well as an XLR 3-pin mic jack
    Yes, I did notice that in the pictures. Does that mean, in order to get stereo audio from my keyboard, I could connect the left channel to the 1/4" input, and the right channel to the XLR 3-in input (with an adapter)?

Is there any reason you want to record the midi also? the midi is just the keystrokes on the keyboard - no sound - but you can apply that to different synths via midi. You could actually record just the midi into Reaper and use a free VST synth to reproducs the sound - then you wouldn't even need an interface because you wouldn't actually need to record an audio signal - just the midi data.
    This is something I'm not familiar with, so I'm going to give it a try. I was planning on recording MIDI, send it to my keyboard which then sends it back to my computer in stereo and record that way. In regards to VST synths, I do have Reason 2.5 that I'm planning to use as well. Is that the sort of VST synth sounds that you mean?

Thanks again!
    - Sydney

arcadeko is offline Illuminatius Overlordious
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    arcadeko,

Thanks for clarifying things for me, I really appreciate it.

Yes, I did notice that in the pictures. Does that mean, in order to get stereo audio from my keyboard, I could connect the left channel to the 1/4" input, and the right channel to the XLR 3-in input (with an adapter)?

This is something I'm not familiar with, so I'm going to give it a try. I was planning on recording MIDI, send it to my keyboard which then sends it back to my computer in stereo and record that way. In regards to VST synths, I do have Reason 2.5 that I'm planning to use as well. Is that the sort of VST synth sounds that you mean?

Thanks again!
    Technically you can record one into an XLR and one into a line but just because it's technically possible doesn't mean it will sound good. It might be fine, but you would have better luck using matched cables.

I think I use to have Reason, but you should be able to create a VST track in reason then assign a VST to it - you can get free VST synths at KVR and I think Reason probably comes with one or more virtual synths - this being the case you would not need to send the midi back to your keyboard to record - you would send it to the virtual keyboard in reason which would create a stereo track (as long as its a stereo synt which it probably will be, or you could run it through stereo effects)

I'm sure youtube has some videos on how to play a VST synth in Reason

GL!
    Mea Culpa -:- What Blog? - Good Artist Copy, Great Artist Steal...

4land is offline Newbie
    Thanks for sharing the information about Multitrack Computer Interface Recording. I assure you new ones well be thankful on reading this great info. Keep it up.

lou92 is offline Newbie

HELP MEEEE!!!! lol

i am goin to buy a 2channel Behringer Xenyx 1002 mixer and a microphone to start recording at home, but im not sure if the mixer will plug into my laptop? will it connect? lol

KeithF is offline Registered User
    I'm a classic newbie (have guitar, vox & about to buy digital multitracker - probably ZOOM R8). About to post a question but read your article first. You describe overdubbing, but surely this makes balancing (say vocal over pre-recorded guitar track) into the new combined track impossible other than by trial & error? So here's my original question. If I record several guitar tracks & a vocal track onto separate tracks I then need to mix them. But they won't all start at the same time! e.g. backing guitar first, then vocals enter after a few bars. How do I get them "synchronised?" Does the computer software handle this automatically?

arcadeko is offline Illuminatius Overlordious
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithF View Post
    I'm a classic newbie (have guitar, vox & about to buy digital multitracker - probably ZOOM R8). About to post a question but read your article first. You describe overdubbing, but surely this makes balancing (say vocal over pre-recorded guitar track) into the new combined track impossible other than by trial & error? So here's my original question. If I record several guitar tracks & a vocal track onto separate tracks I then need to mix them. But they won't all start at the same time! e.g. backing guitar first, then vocals enter after a few bars. How do I get them "synchronised?" Does the computer software handle this automatically?
    Your DAW software has several tracks - you record whatever guide track you want - many people start with drums, some start with guitar. Then you play back the track while recording the next part. The overdubbing does not combine tracks (which used to be called bouncing tracks, that is the process of combining multiple tracks into one track to free up more tracks for new instruments), overdubbing just lets you add additional parts to the song - you will need a decent interface to do this so latency isn't an issue.
    Mea Culpa -:- What Blog? - Good Artist Copy, Great Artist Steal...

moresound is offline Loud Sun Studios
    New Hampshire Lat/Lng: 42.8129750,-72.0248270

Cool Well done

Excellent work Wes!!!
    ♫♪♫ I have a fever and the cure is cowbell ♫♪♫ .......... *LIVE FREE OR DIE* .......... ♫ I'm all ears ♫

☼ Mucho Loco Henry Areebah! ☼

Any mic you buy will be perfectly suited to your needs, until you use it long enough to learn that it's not.

tomgee43 is offline Registered User

Awesome cheap USB recording device

I would have to recommend the ART USB audio interface for anyone wanting something cheap, but with all the features. At only AUD$140 from Swamp, I could not find a cheaper way.

laurenkaymusic is offline Registered User
    I am a BRAND-newbie, and a girl, so please bear with me. I think I understand everything you've posted above. I'm using a simple BOSS BR-532 Digital that I can navigate pretty well. Can you tell me (in caveman speak...lol) what the cable is called that connects my 4-track to my computer? It looks like a mini-phone chord jack. Thank you so much.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread Information