Interface Vs. Preamp Vs. Mixer (Blue Yeti Pro)

Nikog

Hi,
So I will try not to ramble, I'm starting out with voice over work from my house. But only have the very basics for my mic, and am looking to expand my set up.

Currently:
- Mic ( Blue Yeti Pro)
- Pop filter
- Shock Mount

All that I have been doing is using the usb connection to my computer, but since it came with an XLR y cable ( Female 5 pin to dual male 3 pin) I would like to use that instead.

I'm not sure the best route to go through in that I'm not sure what would work better for what I'm using my mic for. ( Interface Vs. Preamp Vs. Mixer)

I've found one of each that I am currently looking at that are all in my price range, but any and all info and opinions about whatever might help would be greatly appreciated.

Preamp- Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Mixer- YAMAHA MG06X

Interface- Line 6 POD Studio UX2 with POD Farm

First off...what level of VO work?

Also...the Scarlet is both interface and preamp.

Not sure the Line 6 is of any use, unless you plan on doing other tracks with sims/FX/etc, besides just the basic VO work.

I would also consider a more serious VO mic...to go with the Scarlet.
A Shure SM7B or an EV RE20 will kill that Yeti.

The mixer...mmm...do you need a mixer? Are you dealing with more than a couple of inputs to the interface?

As of right now, any and all voice work I can get into, at the moment im just learning how everything works.
The Shure SM7B and the EV RE20 are out of my price range. I went with the yeti pro because it seemed like a good choice to start with, then upgrade to a mpre professional mic later on.

Isn't the Blue Yeti Pro a USB mic?

What would you need the Focusrite for? Or is the Blue Yeti Pro dual USB/XLR?

The Focusrite 2i2 or other interface will be a step in the right direction to prepare for when you upgrade to another mic, but likely won't make much if any difference to the recorded sound you're getting from the Yeti Pro with the USB connection.
An interface will provide phantom power for condenser mics (such as your Yeti when connected with XLR), have preamps with gain control, and perform the analog to digital conversion of the mic signal for use in your computer. The interface will also allow you to connect powered monitors(speakers) to listen back recordings you do.

There are a few different categories of VO of which you'll find sample demos of work in the link below. Listening to a few of these and comparing to your own may give some insight as to what you need to do for possible improvement. Many of the artists also have their gear listed and some of the mics used won't break the bank.
Explore Voice Actors by Project Type | Voices.com

Need some practice scripts?.....
https://www.edgestudio.com/script-library/english-adult/business
Sample Scripts Archives | Voices.com Blog

I was going to say that the Blue Yeti as a USB mic might be a bit too noisy for critical VO work but I see it is a 24bit device* and so one could expect its analogue side to compliment that fact?

You have not said which recording software you are using? This is called a "Digital Audio Workstation" and they are legion but Reaper should serve you very well. The trial is fully featured and free forever but pay for it when you can!

if USB operation gives good enough results fine, but operationally an AI is likely to be easier to use. The Focusrite 2i2 would not be my first choice but is as good as most in the £120 range.

*The specification also quotes "192 sampling rate". I do hope you can set that down to 44.1kHz? Otherwise you are going to clog up your hard drive PDQ!

Dave.

Back