Interface throught guitar amplifier?

green29

Hello everybody
I purchased a focusrite scarlett solo interface, and can t wait to start creating music.
The problem is I don't own monitors or speakers. Can I use my guitar amplifier instead (Rolland cube 40 gx).
Or can I use only my computer, I mean can the sound only come trough my computer, maybe I could use headphone?
Thanks for your help, I am a bit confused, and can t wait to get started :thumbs up:

Your audio interface (Scarlett, in this case) is now the sound card for your computer. All of your audio will now flow through it. Ideally you'd use the Scarlett's main outputs to drive a pair of monitors, but using a pair of headphones plugged into the headphone output will be fine as well.

It would be a rare instance that you'd want to feed your interface's output to a guitar amp. The frequency response of a guitar amp is very narrow compared to HiFi speakers or monitors. I've done it as an effect before, mainly to capture the amp's distortion. But it would suck as a monitoring setup.

Headphones are not perfect, but a better choice than a guitar amp. Keep the volume low. Save for a pair of powered near field monitors; a basic starter pair isn't that expensive.

thanks a lot for the great advices , I am going to give it a go now and let you know how it goes! cheers!:guitar:

The Cube has an input for a stereo source such as a pod or phone thus you will simply need a cable terminated in a stereo 1/8"/3mm jack plug. The other end of the cable is a poser! Does the interface come out on two jacks or two RCA phono sockets? You will need to find the right lead but it will be only a few ££/$$s from 'Zon.

But there is an operational problem. The input to the Cube is not controllable (I am sure) and will have a fairly high sensitivity and the "normal" output of the AI might overload and distort the amps front end. Thus it might be better to go for a 3mm to 3mm cable with suitable adaptor and come out of the headphone output which of course has a control pot.

*Some amp makers (cough!) have now produced units that are essentially "hi fi" with wideband speakers and the restricted range for guitar obtained by EQ or digital means.

But yes, get some decent headphones, closed back as starters, and later some monitors. Is there perhaps an audio/hi fi system (dads?) you could plug into?

Dave.

Thanks Dave, I have just started to use ableton with headphones only, and it works good enough for the moment!I am just gonna save some money now and get some monitors :) as you mentioned! Thanks for your answer!

Back