Interface questions

ksmalk08

Hi there - I'm planning on setting up a studio mostly for playback in my college dorm room (i know theres going to be lots of noise)

SO between a MOTU Ultralite mk3 and a Presonus Firebox is the $330 difference really worth it? Are the conversions that much better? Effects aren't critical to me as Ive already got those. I really only need the master outs and one mic input.

Between a Mackie MR5 and a KRK rokit 5 any suggestions? What would be the most cost effective combination of those interfaces and monitors given what I need (im a DJ on the college radio station and want high quality playback with a phantom powered mic input - and some monitors ot listen to what ill mix accurately)

-thanks a bunch - Kurt

Save your money and get the Firebox. It will suit your needs fine.

I can't say about the monitors because I don't know.

Between a Mackie MR5 and a KRK rokit 5 any suggestions? What would be the most cost effective combination of those interfaces and monitors given what I need (im a DJ on the college radio station and want high quality playback with a phantom powered mic input - and some monitors ot listen to what ill mix accurately)

-thanks a bunch - Kurt

i would suggest getting into a nearby guitar center / sam ashe and hear what's available for yourself. any guitar center i've been in will let you test out whatever they have (they spend alot to be able to provide that service to the shopper), and i would just go in there, raise your question, and they should be able to plug in whatever source and allow you to make your determination.

that said, you should develop a relationship with at least sales person as your "go to" guy and whatever you do, don't just figure out what you want to buy by in depth testing in their store, and then just turn and by the thing off the internet to save 20$ when they allowed you to make an informed, comfortable purchase.

yeah unfortunately I go to school in the middle of nowhere - and I don't have a car at the moment so hearing them in person is kinda out - I was looking for some personal experience with the DA converters in these two devices and if its worth the price difference - I know Presonus and MOTU both have a good rep and I certainly dont want to skimp on my interface but if I can put $300 towards monitors then maybe its worth it to go with the Presonus

Go with the Firebox, I own and love it. I have had it now for about 6 months and have produced some very good quality projects.

Back