Interface(?) and Monitor question

harphunt

"Just starting? Afraid to ask a stupid question? Don't worry, in here nobody will laugh at you." Hope this applies.

I've done a search and am not finding what I need/understand.

It's just my drum machine, my voice, and my guitars. I've decided(?) on the M-Audio 2496 soundcard and nTrack. I need something to go between my mic or guitar and the soundcard, correct? Please give me some choices to research.

Also, when monitoring during recording (overdubbing) I'll be using headphones. I assume they connect to the interface, correct?

When listening to playback before and during mixdown I need to use external monitor speakers. Do these connect to this interface or from out of the back of my computer tower?

My searches for "interface" turn up USB/Firewire (don't want) or multi-imput soundcards (don't need). The books I've checked out are unclear about the whole connection issue.

Those of you that take the time to answer a variation on the same question are to be thanked from all on this forum.

Thanks

I would consider a small descent mixer. This will give you the preamp you need for mics and plenty of other options.
I haven't been in the market for one lately but the Mackies are highly popular. I've bought a nice Tascam 8 chl. for under $200.

Recording using headphones or (mixing) is not reccomended. If your getting monitors...use em. Or, headphones for rough mixes when you just gotta be quite.
Monitoring playback with phones-can be run thru the mixer as well.

Your monitors will tie in to the (Audiophile 2496's) L-R analog outputs.
This all relative to the fact you would be using the AP2496 (2 analog in-2 analog out-1 spdif in*out) tracking one at a time.
If your tracking multiple instruments or mics you can use the mixer to one track or a multi-input sound card interface.

Last edited:
Forgive my ignorance, but if I'm recording via a mic and monitoring the other tracks (drum, bass, other guitars) via live monitors won't I create a feedback loop or get bleeding. Don't I need headphones for recording (definitely not for mixdown)? I know that some USB units have a headphone out as well as a monitor out, but I don't want USB.

Thanks

I added to my first post.

The headphone thing----yes, you may or may not use headphones for playback monitor and recording, depends on the setup.

USB is one option...there are also breakout boxes interfaced with a PCI card.

and yes...if you are recording with an open mic and live monitor you will certainly get the playback track bleed.
Some recorded instruments are DI and playback can be monitored live.

The Omni I/O certainly looks cool and has both phones and monitor out as do most mixers. I assume the 15 pin connecter on the Omni carries the sound out of the card into the box?

For mixers (which generally have phone and mon out), I run the sound out of the card into where?

For preamps (namely the DMP3) where would I run the output from the card to? I don't see an imput. The headphone jack would only allow monitoring of input signals, not what I'm playing along with.

If I connect the sound output from the card to external monitors, how am I to use headphones to monitor playback while recording live signals?

Thank you Stealthtech for responding. It just hasn't clicked, yet. Please be patient.

I don't want to buy what some salesperson claims will work. I think too much, sometimes

Thanks

Back