Interface & Macbook not recognizing keyboard

VanRolly

Hey all,

Would really appreciate any help you can provide a total newbie like me.

My gear:
- Hardware: Macbook Pro
- DAW: Garageband
- Interface: Scarlett Focusrite 2i4
- Keyboard: M-Audio Keystudio 25

I have been recording guitar and vocals using the above setup without issue so far. Sounds pretty decent actually!

Recent was given the keyboard listed above, with the intention of hooking it up to my interface (via Midi?) to record keystrokes for fleshing out some tunes. However, I get nothing on either the interface (Midi light stays unlit) nor on Garageband (no signal).

I have connected via a Dual Midi Cable (per my local Tom Lee salesperson) from the keyboard direct into the "input" slot on the back of the 2i4. I'm obviously totally missing the boat on something here, but I'm not sure what.

Do I need an additional connection? A different connection (like should I be going directly to the Mac via USB)? Does the Mac need some sort of driver?

Totally at a loss here and would be grateful for any guidance.

Thanks!
Spencer

Hi there,
No, your mac won't need additional drivers or software, as long as the scarlett is recognised and functioning.

As far as I know you can use the 5 pin midi as you describe, or you can just use USB. Either is fine.
The scarlett should use the same type of cable, so you can always unplug your interface and test the keyboard over USB.
When testing via 5pin, your keyboard will need its power supply plugged in.

Audio/Midi setup in OSX might be useful. Fire it up and go to Window/Show Midi Studio.
That should show you your devices and allow you to test them, as far as I remember.

If you use USB your keyboard should show up by name.
If you use 5pin, the device name should be Scarlett.

Welcome to the forums! :)

Thanks for the response! Per your suggestions...

Hi there,
No, your mac won't need additional drivers or software, as long as the scarlett is recognised and functioning.
OK good to know - yes Scarlett is functioning perfectly for Electric Guitar & Mic inputs. :)

The one question on this that I DO have is that there is a little "MIDI" indicator light (right beside the USB light on the front of the interface) that looks like it should be on when they keyboard is plugged in or in use, but it hasn't come on yet. I'm thinking maybe the Scarlett isn't recognizing the keyboard via the 5pin MIDI cable?

As far as I know you can use the 5 pin midi as you describe, or you can just use USB. Either is fine.
The scarlett should use the same type of cable, so you can always unplug your interface and test the keyboard over USB.
I will try using a USB cord directly into the Mac as you suggest - good idea. Power is "in".

Audio/Midi setup in OSX might be useful. Fire it up and go to Window/Show Midi Studio.
That should show you your devices and allow you to test them, as far as I remember.

Have checked this and the devices show, didn't know there was a testing function. Will give it a shot.

Thanks!

No worries. Let us know how you get on. :)

I didn't mention the front midi light because I'm not 100% sure if it just flat out responds to midi input no matter what, or if there needs to be an accepting midi client open first.
The latter is doubtful but Audio/Midi setup feedback will be definitive.

Hi there,

OK so I've tried plugging the keyboard directly into the Mac via USB and I do get a signal now. I can hear the music play (though the volume seems inconsistent, maybe just a bit quiet) - so I consider that a partial success!

However I'd like to have everything run through the interface. That's where I have my headphones plugged in, that's where everything goes through, it seems weird to have things running separately. And the 2i4 is MEANT for keyboards like this, I can't figure out why it won't recognize it or work properly.

Any ideas for next steps?

I'm not sure why you have been sold a "Dual Midi Cable".

You just need a single midi cable to go from midi-out of the m-audio to midi-in of the scarlett.

I would double check to make sure that you haven't somehow got the cable ends mixed up.

In any case, I'd be inclined to return the cable and exchange it for a single. And see if they are willing to check it in the store before you take it home.

Running a midi controller via USB instead of via interface shouldn't really make any difference,
apart from USB not requiring additional power.

Still, big 1+ to Mr Grumpy's advice.

OK so I've tried plugging the keyboard directly into the Mac via USB and I do get a signal now. I can hear the music play (though the volume seems inconsistent, maybe just a bit quiet) - so I consider that a partial success!

However I'd like to have everything run through the interface. That's where I have my headphones plugged in, that's where everything goes through, it seems weird to have things running separately. And the 2i4 is MEANT for keyboards like this, I can't figure out why it won't recognize it or work properly.

Any ideas for next steps?
Are you creating a software instrument track in GarageBand and that's not picking up the keyboard?

I confess I've only used my little nektar Impact LX-25 keyboard (connected via USB) to knock out a couple "B3" chords and a few odd bell or kick drum sounds, but it seems to just work when it's on and I create a software instrument track. I'm using Logic, but the latest version of GarageBand seems to be very much the same.

The advice regarding Audio/Midi setup will tell you if the issue is caused by your cable or your recording software settings.
If you can prove that there's no data getting in at Audio/Midi setup, then a new cable is most likely needed.
If data is getting in there, you probably just need to tell your instrument track to look for its midi input from scarlet midi port. That'll be an option, somewhere.

I'm not sure why you have been sold a "Dual Midi Cable".
Good question - it was because it was 3 feet long whereas the single was like 10 feet long, which was a lot of unnecessary cable for the same price.

This may be having an impact, so will check about exchanging.

I've got two keyboards . . . a digital piano that is connected to my interface by midi cable, and a midi keyboard that is connected via USB.

It is a very handy arrangement.

But there is DIN . . . and there is DIN. And I've discovered that there are DIN cables that look like mifi cables, but aren't . . . they are wired for audio to go from, say, tape decks to amps, because there was an era when DIN was very prevalent.

Back