Inputs

intune

Are headphone outputs from from walkman radios and the like, to high of a level to connect straight to a mic level input of recorder? Maybe someone can explain to me about these levels.

Yeah -- what Emeric said.... :)

OR....

Treat it like any other signal source - headphone/lineout volume low, mixer input trim to minimum, mixer fader level to standard 3/4 (or 0 DB) level.

Adjust the headphone/lineout volume to about halfway - see where you end up on the meters - then adjust both headphone/lineout volume and trim controls for the least noisy operation - headphone volume probably between 1/2 and 3/4, with minimal gain on the trims...

Hope this helps...

Bruce Valeriani
Blue Bear Sound

Er... skip what I said... just re-read your post where you mentioned "... to a mic level input on a recorder..." -- that would probably be fairly noisy/distorted - the mixer route I mentioned would be a far better way to handle it....

Bruce

Thanks alot. Am trying to record some tunes off of the radio so we can learn them. I have a Roland VS-1880 and was worried about damaging the inputs. Have since found that the inputs can handle line as well as mic levels. Do you think it would be better to just mic each speaker cabinet of the home sterio that I have?

I think the best would be to either buy the music or use a regular tape recorder. Why go through all the trouble of micing the speakers etc.? Just hit rec on your home stero and you have good enough quality to learn the tunes.

Also, you could use the line out on a reciever and feed it directly yo the line in put on your recording gear. However, even that is overkill IMO.

I have fed the headphone out to line in and it works if you keep the "volume" low and keep your eyes on the input meters. You end up with a pretty crappy quality though.

/Ola

Vs-1880 inputs

Can I take the monitor or master outs of an unpowered mixer, to inputs of my recorder? Would this be the best way to do a live recording? Just trying to learn what I can and can't bring into VS inputs. Would it be safe to say that any analog signal that does not come from an amp could be brought in? I really do appreciate all the info. Another question, drum triggers. What sort of output do they put out? Do you need to have a special brain to work with them, or can a Roland VS-1880 handle this type of signal? Am trying to figure out If I need more Tracks and mics, or could I save the money on what a drum trigger brain, or whatever you call it, or use this money to get another VS-1880? I am assuming that I could tie two 1880's together to get 16 track simultanious recording?

Yes, any signal that is not a speaker signal should be safe. Headphone signals are basically speaker signals, although as mentioned before, they are so weak so they probably wouldn't damage anything. They are likely to distort or have humoungous amounts of noise, though. Or just generally sound like shite.

Drum triggers usually output a signal that is only understandable by the speciel brain they are designed to work with. Ther may be drumtriggers that do midi directly, but nothing you could input into the VS, obviously. The puropse of a drum trigger is to take a sound (the drum) and make a non-sound signal (the trig) of it.

I don't know if you can sync two VS-1880.

Back