Inexplicable distortion

helloarchie

Hey peeps,

I've been trawling through discussion threads trying to find some answers to my distortion troubles, but alas can't seem to find the solution.
Here is my setup:

- Logic Pro x 10.3.3
- AKG SE 300B compressor mic with XLR cable (cable is fine)
- Steinberg UR 22mkII sound card
- USB phantom powered

I'm recording vocals and they are heavily distorted, a sort of mechanic sounding distortion. The strange thing is that it recorded clean when I first set it up and then stopped working the second time I turned on the sound card. I've had the mic checked by a repairs place who tested it through their PC setup (not my Mac) and it was working fine for them. I've fiddled with the gain/phantom power settings on the advice of others, to no avail.

Is there some simple thing I'm missing about my setup or Logic settings? Any advice would be so greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Archie

Hello Archie and welcome.

Do you get a loss of signal level along with the distortion? If so I would check for phantom power at the MIC end of the cable (48V, pin 1 negative, 2 and 3 positive) . If present that also rules out the cable (yes! I know you said it was "ok". Didn't tell us how you knew that!) .

Next you need another signal source to check the interface. Another mic would be best but an electric guitar would do except it may not run through the mic pre amp. A 'line' feed from a phone, cassette machine, almost certainly would.

I know you say it has been checked but my money is still on the mic!

Lastly, check buffer setting in the mac but I cannot see why they should have changed?

Dave.

- The AKG SE 300B is a preamplifier module for interchangeable SDC capsules. When used for vocals have you been using either a pop filter or a foam windscreen to prevent moisture from your breath from getting onto the microphone capsule?
- Is the distortion present in headphones plugged into the Steinberg UR 22mkII while monitoring/listening to the mic as you speak into the mic? Or is the distortion only on playback of a vocal you have recorded?
- If it's only a recorded vocal that is distorting, do previously recorded 'clean' vocal tracks playback without distortion?
- Tried both MIC inputs on the UR 22mkII?

Before you go any further, you need to do some basic fault finding - you need to find somebody with a phantom powered mic input you can try your mic on, and you need to connect another condenser to your system - then you will know which area the fault is in.

Just a quick thought though. It's worth taking whatever capsule you are using off and checking the mating surfaces of the contacts - then perhaps mating/unmating a few times to clear any oxidisation?

"A mechanic sounding distortion" sounds to me a bit like a feedback loop of some sort.As others have said, you need to start with some fault finding: different mikes, different systems. But also check your signal path in case it is somehow routed back on itself.

Back