Which iMac to buy

Mesarocks

I am updating gear. I have a UA Apollo Twin Duo and now figuring out which iMac to buy. I will seldom ever record more than two tracks at once....in fact only one typically. And now can use the UA plug ins with the Apollo interface.....so what is most important to consider.....get 16g ram over 8? Or i5 quad core over the i7 quad processor? Or both? I really would rather have a 21.5 imac but realize I cant add more ram in these machines.
I will run protools 11

Last edited:
I'm not convinced it matters.
What would an average mix look like? Number of tracks and, more importantly, number of virtual instruments?

I have a 2011 i5 macbook pro and a beast mac pro but, quite honestly, the macbook pro would handle more or less all the audio work I do.
The screen size and occasional video work is why I upgraded.

I do think SSDs can play a big part in performance so if you're going to upgrade anything have a look at that. :)

Man, the difference SSDs make are just short of a miracle. I have OS and all of the applications stored on on SSD, main audio projects on magnetic disk HD, the performance I am getting out of my computer is just fantastic.

SSD is really worth looking into.

I use no virtual instruments. I record typically 4 or 5 guitar tracks and a bass track to a click. Possibly use a drum loop once in while for a vibe. This whole thing is to merely do my tracks and send them to the next guy to add his as we live all over the world.

Then any low end computer will do. I track with a laptop, dual core, 16 channels and have no problem. An SSD would help the laptop for faster file commits rather than having to buffer. The power comes in when you process, it really isn't a problem with just tracking and lite mixing.

I'm not convinced it matters.
What would an average mix look like? Number of tracks and, more importantly, number of virtual instruments?

I have a 2011 i5 macbook pro and a beast mac pro but, quite honestly, the macbook pro would handle more or less all the audio work I do.
The screen size and occasional video work is why I upgraded.

I do think SSDs can play a big part in performance so if you're going to upgrade anything have a look at that. :)

I am a bit in the dark about much of this as there has always been someone else doing everything in the studios. I was the bassist with Walter Trout Band past ten years and now living remote in the Catskills. And trying to get my workstation up and running.

So I should get flash storage instead of standard hard drive installed? Mac offers 256 or 512g

If you have plenty of room and all you are going to do is tracking, you really don't need anything more than what you have. Today's computers and the new interfaces just are not really a problem for basic audio recording. When you start getting into big mixes and processing (VST or VSTi) is when you computing power starts to come into play.

If you have plenty of room and all you are going to do is tracking, you really don't need anything more than what you have. Today's computers and the new interfaces just are not really a problem for basic audio recording. When you start getting into big mixes and processing (VST or VSTi) is when you computing power starts to come into play.

This is true.
If your description is right then any iMac will do just fine straight off the shelf.
People run into problems tracking 16 simultaneous inputs or mixing 40 track sessions with a stack of virtual instruments, but for a handful of audio tracks and basic mixing a pentium 4 would probably get by. ;)

The SSD thing is more important if you're streaming massive amounts of audio by way of audio tracks or sample libraries.
Doesn't sound like you'll be doing either.

This is true.
If your description is right then any iMac will do just fine straight off the shelf.
People run into problems tracking 16 simultaneous inputs or mixing 40 track sessions with a stack of virtual instruments, but for a handful of audio tracks and basic mixing a pentium 4 would probably get by. ;)

The SSD thing is more important if you're streaming massive amounts of audio by way of audio tracks or sample libraries.
Doesn't sound like you'll be doing either.

Thanks so much. I understand. Any imac say after 2013 will do the job. I will look into refurbished. Here is what I have to use....Focusrite ISA 220 channel strip, Neumann TLM 193, SM 57, Avalon U5, Apollo Twin Duo and new Pro Tools 11.

I would really think so, yes.
For anything up to about 20 audio tracks with the average effects and a virtual instrument or two, I'd happily use my 2011 i5 machine. No worries at all.

Refurb is a great way to go. You're buying a retail product in retail condition with full warranty and a slightly shabbier box than you'd expect. :p
I saved about £100 on my mbp.

You might want to think about the equipment list, though.
The apollo has two mic inputs so you don't need channel strips or outboard preamps, although I do get the appeal.
In addition, the apollo doesn't seem to have dedicated line inputs, so it's not ideal for adding external preamps.

You can use them into the combo mic/line input but normally the gain knob still has effect, meaning the line input is really just a pad before the mic pre.
It's not ideal, but works.

Just letting you know. :)

The 193 is a lovely mic, in my opinion.
I'm a dynamic fan - I never liked hyped capacitor mics.
For me the 193 falls into that natural sounding category with the mk219/319. :)

I would really think so, yes.
For anything up to about 20 audio tracks with the average effects and a virtual instrument or two, I'd happily use my 2011 i5 machine. No worries at all.

Refurb is a great way to go. You're buying a retail product in retail condition with full warranty and a slightly shabbier box than you'd expect. :p
I saved about £100 on my mbp.

You might want to think about the equipment list, though.
The apollo has two mic inputs so you don't need channel strips or outboard preamps, although I do get the appeal.
In addition, the apollo doesn't seem to have dedicated line inputs, so it's not ideal for adding external preamps.

You can use them into the combo mic/line input but normally the gain knob still has effect, meaning the line input is really just a pad before the mic pre.
It's not ideal, but works.

Just letting you know. :)

The 193 is a lovely mic, in my opinion.
I'm a dynamic fan - I never liked hyped capacitor mics.
For me the 193 falls into that natural sounding category with the mk219/319. :)

Thanks. I already had the outboard gear for some years. I just am updating from a 002 digidesign rack and 2004 mac. I hope to accomplish everything with just the Apollo and UA plug ins going to the track possibly. Or afterwards coming back. I never use virtual or sampled instr. all live to just a click. Then lay on the other guys stuff. I am in the states and drummer in uk and vocal in holland.

Thanks. I already had the outboard gear for some years. I just am updating from a 002 digidesign rack and 2004 mac. I hope to accomplish everything with just the Apollo and UA plug ins going to the track possibly. Or afterwards coming back. I never use virtual or sampled instr. all live to just a click. Then lay on the other guys stuff. I am in the states and drummer in uk and vocal in holland.

Oh, that's cool. :)

Oooh an international band arrangement?
If you ever need someone to do some mixing give me a shout. ;)

Oh, that's cool. :)

Oooh an international band narrangement?
If you ever need someone to do some mixing give me a shout. ;)

Ok cool. I was with Walter Trout the past 9 years and now with Jimmy Thackery. We live all over the planet so need to get me into this century with the technology ha

If you aren't working with Virtual Instruments, I'd say go for 8GB RAM and the i7 processor over the i5 and 16GB of RAM. I have 8GB of RAM in my desktop, and I haven't ever needed all of it, even when I'm running some Virtual Instruments.

My laptop is one of the newer (newest?) MacBook Pros. It has 16GB of RAM, and god only knows when I'll need all of that memory.

Both of them have i7 processors though, and if you're ever using high end plug-ins that aren't UAD powered, you'll want the processor before you'll need the RAM.

If you aren't working with Virtual Instruments, I'd say go for 8GB RAM and the i7 processor over the i5 and 16GB of RAM. I have 8GB of RAM in my desktop, and I haven't ever needed all of it, even when I'm running some Virtual Instruments.

My laptop is one of the newer (newest?) MacBook Pros. It has 16GB of RAM, and god only knows when I'll need all of that memory.

Both of them have i7 processors though, and if you're ever using high end plug-ins that aren't UAD powered, you'll want the processor before you'll need the RAM.

Thanks for the suggestion. I originally thought that 8 gig of ram might do the trick based on my needs but I think most dont use the UA powered plug ins and many use virtual instr these days I guess. I am very old school ha and every part is recorded live. I come from the days of analog, although I believe every album I have been on since 2000 has been digital. I have another week here on tour before I need to buy. I just need to make the right decision over costly mistakes.

Back